Tổng hợp 48 bài văn mẫu IELTS Writing Task 2 Essay Band 8 -9 của các thầy giáo tại Việt Nam
Tổng hợp 48 bài văn mẫu IELTS Writing Task 2 Essary Band 8 -9 của các thầy giáo tại Việt Nam
IELTS Writing là một kỹ năng khó đối với rất nhiều thí sinh dự thi IELTS, đặc biệt là với các bạn tự học IELTS ở nhà. Thấu hiểu khó khăn của các bạn, chúng tôi đã dành nhiều thời gian và công sức tổng hợp và viết các bài mẫu cho toàn bộ các đề thi IELTS tại Việt Nam để các bạn tham khảo.
Tất cả các bài viết trong cuốn ebook này đều đạt band 8.0 trở lên theo đánh giá chủ quan của các tác giả. Chúng tôi mong muốn mang đến cho các bạn những bài viết chất lượng, đi kèm với ideas và từ vựng tốt cho các chủ đề writing cụ thể. Nhóm tác giả bày tỏ lòng cảm kích đối với những sự ủng hộ và các góp ý nếu có để có thể có những cuốn ebook tốt hơn trong tương lai.
LỜI NÓI ĐẦU
IELTS Writing là một kỹ năng khó đối với rất nhiều thí sinh dự thi IELTS, đặc biệt là với các bạn tự học IELTS ở nhà.
Thấu hiểu khó khăn của các bạn, chúng tôi đã dành nhiều thời gian và công sức tổng hợp và viết các bài mẫu cho toàn bộ các đề thi IELTS tại Việt Nam trong năm 2021 để các bạn tham khảo.
Tất cả các bài viết trong cuốn ebook này đều đạt band 8.0 trở lên theo đánh giá chủ quan của các tác giả. Chúng tôi mong muốn mang đến cho các bạn những bài viết chất lượng, đi kèm với ideas và từ vựng tốt cho các chủ đề writing cụ thể. Nhóm tác giả bày tỏ lòng cảm kích đối với những sự ủng hộ và các góp ý nếu có để có thể có những cuốn ebook tốt hơn trong tương lai.
Phiên bản bỏ túi của cuốn ebook này có thể được tìm thấy trên tailieu24h.vn, và nếu không thấy content thì hãy bật notification cho apps là được.
Các bạn nên tự brainstorming và viết bài, sau đó hãy so sánh với các bài mẫu để học được từ vựng mới, các cách diễn đạt và ý tưởng cho các bài viết. Nếu có thời gian, bạn hãy chép tay các bài viết mẫu để học nhanh hơn và nhớ lâu hơn.
Mọi ý kiến đóng góp xin vui lòng gửi về: Zalo 0965.250.255
Hải Phòng, tháng 10 năm 2021
CÁC ĐỀ THI IELTS NĂM 2020 TẠI VIỆT NAM
Task 1: Percentage of UK people using internet. Bar chart.
Task 2: Leaders and directors in an organisation are normally older people. Some people think younger leader would be better. Do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Line graph about the sales of books in 6 different years.
Task 2: Some people think that there should be some strict controls about noise. Others think that they could just make as much noise as they want. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Task 1: A diagram shows the stages of producing canned fruits.
Task 2: It is now possible for scientists and tourists to travel to remote natural environment, such as South Pole. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
Task 1: The bar chart shows the percentage of the total world population in four countries in 1995 and 2002, and projections for 2050.
Task 2: Some people say that too much attention and too many resources are given in the protection of wild animals and birds. Do you agree or disagree about this opinion?
Task 1: (Bar Chart + Table) Comparison of time spent, in minutes per day, by UK's Males and Females on household and leisure activities.
Task 2: Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists but not local people. Why is this the case and what can be done to attract more local people to visit these places?
Task 1: Table about student's satisfaction level for various services at a school.
Task 2: Some people think that the best way to increase road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving cars or riding motorbikes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Line graph
Task 2: The use of mobile phone is as antisocial as smoking. Smoking is banned in certain places so mobile phone should be banned like smoking. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task1: Bar graph (three categories and 5 different age group)
Task 2: Some students prefer to take a year off between school and university, to work or to travel. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
Task 1: Pie chart.
Task 2: Nowadays, many families have both parents working. Some working parents believe other family members like grandparents can take care of their children, while others think childcare centres provide the best care. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Task 1: Maps. Compare two school campus between 1978 and 2001.
Task 2: Some people think that famous people can help international aid organizations to draw attention to important problems. Others believe that the celebrities can make the problems seem less important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Task 1: Bar chart. How many hours each week people work in European countries
Task 2: Some people think that the increasing use of computers and mobile phones in communication has negative effects on young people's reading and writing skills. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Line chart and bar graph about traffic and CO2 emission by cars trucks and vans
Task 2: Nowadays, more and more older people who need employment compete with the younger people for the same jobs. What problems this causes? What are solutions?
Task 1: Table
Task 2: Some people think that schools should reward students who show the best academic results, while others believe that it is more important to reward students who show improvements. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Task 1: Bar chart
Task 2: Young people who commit crimes should be treated in the same as as adults who commit crimes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Table about high School Teacher's salary from 5 countries
Task 2: Developments in technology has brought various environmental problems. Some believe that people need to live simpler lives to solve environmental problems. Others, however, believe technology is the way to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion
Task 1: Process about cocoa production
Task 2: Many people argue that in order to improve educational quality, high school students are encouraged to make comments or even criticism on their teachers. Others think it will lead to loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Task 1: Bar chart about two years, 1960 and 2000.
Task 2: Nowadays, more and more people decide to have children later in their life. What are the reasons? What are the effects on society and family life?
Task 1: bar chart about size class
Task 2: many people believe that international tourism is a bad thing for their country. What are the reasons? Solutions to change negative attitudes?
Task 1: Maps about the changes in a park
Task 2: Some people prefer to provide help and support directly to those their local community. However, others prefer to give money to national and international charitable organisations. Discuss both views and give opinion.
Task 1: Mix bar chart + line chart.
Task 2: Accommodation and transport problems are increasing in many large cities. Businesses are encouraged to move to rural areas. Do advantages outweigh disadvantages?
Task 1: 2 line charts.
Task 2: People today do not feel safe either at home or when they are out. What are the causes? What are the solutions?
Task 1: Bar chart - so sánh boys and girls tham gia vào các hoạt động.
Task 2: Some people think that young people should be required to do unpaid work helping people in the community. Are disadvantages of this requirement greater than the benefits for the community and individuals?
Task 1: Line chart
Task 2: Advertising discourages people from being different individuals by making us want to be and to look the same. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Bar chart.
Task 2: Some people say taxes should be spent on health care. Other ppl say that there are more important priorities for tax-payers' money. Discus both these views and give your own opinion.
Task 1: bar chart
Task 2: As well as making money, businesses also have social responsibilities. Do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Map about different room layouts
Task 2: The world natural resources are consumed at an ever-increased rate. What are the dangers of this situation? What should we do?
Task 1: Line graph
Task 2: Some people who have been in prison become good citizens later. Some people think that having these people to give a talk to school students is the best way to tell them about dangers of committing a crime. Do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: pie chart.
Task 2: international travel can make people prejudiced rather than broad minded. Why people fail to benefit when they travel? What we can do to improve their understanding of the countries they visit?
Task 1: Two bar charts about male + female do tasks at home
Task 2: Some people think that the government should give financial support to artists such as musicians, painters and poets. Others think that it is a waste of money. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Task 1: bar charts about favourite subjects of 60 purpils from 2 different junior high schools.
Task 2: Many people are afraid to leave their homes because of the fear of crime. Some believe that more actions should be taken to prevent crime. Others feel that little can be done. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Task 1: Table 5x5 about the number of people living in other countries.
Task 2: Fewer and fewer people walk on a daily basis. What are the reasons and how to encourage them to spend their time walking?
Task 1: Line chart.
Task 2: Studies show that criminals get low level of education. Some people believe that the best way to reduce the crime is educating people in prison so they can get a job after leaving prison. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task1: maps so sánh sự thay đổi của 1 tòa nhà theo thời gian.
Task 2: In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. Which of these two systems is more appropriate in today's world?
Task 1: 2 pie charts
Task 2: Some people think that in order to prevent illness and disease, governments should make efforts in reducing environmental pollution and housing problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Task 1: bar chart
Task 2: students today can easily access information online, so libraries are no longer necessary. Do you agree or disagree?
Tast 1: So sánh 2 pie charts.
Task 2: Scientist agree that people are damaging their health by eating too much junk food. Some people think that the answer to this problem is to educate people. Others think education will not work. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Task 1: Bar chart
Task 2: Whether or not someone achieves their aims is mostly by a question of luck. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: pie chart, a mountain of data
Task 2: The consumption of the world's resources (oil, and water etc.) is increasing at a dangerous rate. What are causes and solutions?
Task 1: table
Task 2: Too much emphasis is placed on going university for academic education. People should be encouraged to do vocational training, because there is a lack of qualified tradespeople such as electricians or plumbers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: maps
Task 2: The government and individuals are spending too much money on national celebrations like new year or festivals. Do you agree or disagree?
Task 1: Table.
Task 2: There is a general increase in anti-social behaviors and lack of respect for others. What are the causes and solutions?
Task 1: table
Task 2: People who live in foreign countries should follow the traditions and customs. To what extent do you agree or disagree.
Task 1: process jam made out of fruit
Task 2: Children are facing more pressures nowadays from academic, social and commercial perspectives.
What are the causes of these pressures and what measures should be taken to reduce these pressures?
TOPIC 01: 10/01/2020
Leaders and directors in an organisation are normally older people. Some people think younger leader would be better. Do you agree or disagree?
It is true that higher positions are prevalently held by aged members in many organizations these days. While some people believe younger people would demonstrate better leadership, it is in my opinion that senior managers possess more advantages over the young in leading a company.
To begin with, it is usually difficult for the young to compete with the old in terms of experience. those who have gained adequate experience can more effectively manage to lead the individuals of an organization than those who do not. The reason for this is that business matters often require the people in charge to have not only the knowledge of coping with problematic situations but also strong nerves to calmly find a feasible solution. As a result, years of experience in a relevant position tend to make the elderly better candidates than those who are relatively young and new to the tasks.
Another advantage belonging to aged people is that they are likely to receive more support from the people in an organization. As the time spent working with the staff of the senior is often longer, they can understand their colleagues better, achieving more popularity. It is interpersonal communication skills and approval of other people that can tremendously affect the success of a leader. Younger members, on the other hand, will need more time to make contributions over time to prove themselves worthy.
In conclusion, I believe that critical positions of authority should be given to senior staff members for the certain reasons mentioned rather than the young.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Prevalent (adj): existing very commonly or happening often (phổ biến/ thịnh hành/ thông dụng/ thường thấy) Ví dụ: Health problems such as obesity and diabetes are prevalent amongst young people in developing countries today.
- · To demonstrate sth(v): to show or make something clear (thể hiện/ biểu thị) Ví dụ: The problems of unsatisfactory productivity which Vietnamese workers are facing demonstrate the importance of enhancing the quality of learning and teaching in tertiary education.
- · Senior (adj): older (lớn tuổi) Ví dụ: Senior family members are expected to set an example to the younger children in order that these junior members can adopt good manners in their adulthood.
- · Leadership (n): the set of characteristics that make a good leader (khả năng lãnh đạo) Ví dụ: The lack of leadership in young and inexperienced directors can sometimes put the company in jeopardy.
- · Problematic (adj): difficult to deal with or to understand; full of problems; not certain to be successful (khó khăn). Ví dụ: Despite acknowledging the dangers of fast food, many consumers find it problematic to switch to a healthier food choice.
· Feasible (adj): that is possible and likely to be achieved (khả thi). Ví dụ: With the public support of abandoning polluting vehicles, the prospect of the improved air quality seems more feasible.
People have different views about whether older or younger people are more suitable for important positions in organisations. While I accept that old individuals have significantly important qualities, I believe younger ones are more likely to become good leaders.
On the one hand, elderly people can be good leaders for some reasons. Firstly, as old people have worked for many years, they have accumulated much more work experience compared to younger workers. This might allow them to make wiser decisions and bring success to the company they work for. Secondly, older people are often more respected by others. Therefore, they can have a more powerful voice within the company, and people are more likely to listen to them. If leaders are young, they might find it hard to influence other employees.
On the other hand, I believe it will be better if young people take up important positions. The first reason is that since young individuals tend to be physically stronger, they can handle big responsibilities and much work. Being a leader requires people to work with much pressure, and old people are often not capable of doing that. Additionally, younger people are usually more creative, so they are more likely to find newer and better improvements which benefit the entire organisation. For example, a young manager can come up with a new advertising strategy for a product, which contributes to the increasing sales of the company.
In conclusion, while I accept that old individuals can be good leaders of an organisation, I believe these important positions should be given to younger people.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · accumulate: to gradually get more and more of something over a period of time (tích lũy). Ví dụ: Children gradually accumulate knowledge as they grow up.
- · wise: sensible (thông thái). Ví dụ: a wise decision
- · handle: to deal with a situation, a person, an area of work or a strong emotion (xử lý / giải quyết). Ví dụ: A new man was appointed to handle the crisis.
- · capable of doing something: having the ability or qualities necessary for doing something (có khả năng làm được việc gì đó). Ví dụ: He was barely capable of writing his own name.
TOPIC 02: 17/01/2020
Some people think that there should be some strict controls about noise. Others think that they could just make as much noise as they want. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
People have different views about whether noise should be limited. While some individuals believe the level of noise being created should be strictly controlled, I would argue that people should have the right to produce noise if they want to.
On the one hand, there are several reasons why the government should control the amount of noise produced. The first reason is that too much noise can significantly affect people's health. Living in a place that is too noisy can cause problems such as headaches, which can decrease the health levels of people, especially old ones. Additionally, noise can disturb people's work or study. For example, a university student will not be able to concentrate on his preparation for exams if his neighbours keep singing too loud.
However, I believe people should be allowed make as much noise as they want because of some reasons. Firstly, producing noise is sometimes considered a type of recreational activities. For instance, singing or cheering for a football club can be relaxing, and everyone has the right to do those things. Secondly, as the world is becoming more modern, people have found ways to deal with the problem of noise. Scientists have invented walls and windows that can block out the noise, which allows individuals to focus on their work without being disturbed. Therefore, the problem of noise can be reduced and there is no need for people to keep quiet.
In conclusion, while many people believe there should be controls about noise, I believe we have the right to create noise when we want to.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · disturb: to interrupt somebody when they are trying to work, sleep, etc (làm phiền). Ví dụ: If you get up early, try not to disturb everyone else.
- · concentrate: to give all your attention to something and not think about anything else (tập trung). Ví dụ: We’re concentrating even harder on giving quality service this year.
- · recreational: connected with activities that people do for enjoyment when they are not working (giải trí). Ví dụ: recreational activities/facilities
People hold different views about whether people should have the freedom to produce noise or comply with some regulations of it. In my view, it is important that noise making be put under control.
On the one hand, it is understandable why some people believe in their rights to generate noise freely. As people these days often have to suffer from considerable stress at work or school, they tend to find an effective way to relieve it. In some cases, recreational activities such as karaoke singing or party holding can bring a certain amount of relaxation, mitigating stressful situations for everyone. If too strictly imposed, any restriction of noise may deter people from gaining access to one of the useful methods of relaxing.
However, I can understand the arguments against noise makers. Firstly, excessive levels of noise can cause serious disturbance to the nearby residents who also have the rights to take a proper rest after a tiring day. Those who are affected by the loud sounds from their neighbours may not only be unable to relax but also have their levels of discomfort increased. In the long term, this will definitely have a negative impact on their quality of life. Another reason for this opinion is that too much noise can produce detrimental effects on the health of the unintentional hearers. For example, constant exposure to high pitch noise can result in auditory problems, for example hearing loss. Hearing-impaired individuals are very likely to experience difficulty in their daily life.
In conclusion, although there are good reasons why people should be allowed to make as much noise as they wish, in my opinion some appropriate controls are necessary.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To comply with sth (verb phrase): to act according to an order, set of rules, regulations or request. (tuân thủ) Ví dụ: There should be serious pelnaties for failure to comply with the regulations of treating hazardous waste.
- · To put sth under control/ To be put under control (prep phrase): to be deal with or limit sth successfully. (kiểm soát/ hạn chế cái gì) Ví dụ: The effort of reducing overpopulation in urban cities such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh would require the migration of people from other areas to be put under control.
- · Recreational (adj): connected with activities that people do for enjoyment when they are not working (mang tính giải trí). Ví dụ: The large cities in Vietnam are widely perceived to offer a range of recreational activities and facilities which draw a number of domestic holiday makers from the neighbouring regions to relax during holiday periods.
- · To impose sth on sth (verb phrase): to officially force a rule, law or something to be obeyed and received. (áp đặt) Ví dụ: One methods to deter alcohol consumption is imposing very high taxes on any purchases and heavy fines for illegal trades of alcohol.
- · To deter sth from sth (v): to prevent someone from doing something or to make them less enthusiastic about doing it by making it more difficult for them to do it or threatening bad results if they do it. (cản trở/ làm nản lòng/ gây khó khăn) Ví dụ: Teenage gang members can be deterred from committing crimes by means of strict punishments for all young delinquents to make an example of them.
- · To gain access to sth (verb phrase): to have the right or opportunity to use something (tiếp cận với cái gì) Ví dụ: The concentration of prestigious universities and colleges in a few metropolisises is responsible for the mass annual migration of students from rural areas and smaller cities who seek access to more quality education and more widely recognised degrees.
- · Excessive (adj): too much (quá nhiều/ vượt ngưỡng) Ví dụ: The excessive consumption of fast food with a view to saving the cooking time is prone to chronic health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- · Detrimental (adj): causing harm and damage (gây hại/ có hại) Ví dụ: Prolonged lack of sleep due to an overly busy timetable is known to have harmful side-effects apart from difficulty in concentration and temporary loss of memory.
- · Unintentional (adj): not planned or intended (không có chủ đích/ vô tình) Ví dụ: Some harmful habits of parents such as reckless driving and smoking, although (they are) unintentional, can lead the children to adopt these habits when they become adults.
- · Exposure to sth (noun phrase)/ To be exposed to sth (adjective phrase): the fact of experiencing sth or being affected by it (tiếp xúc với cái gì) Ví dụ: The residents who live permanently in urban cities usually suffer from continuous exposure to polluted air caused by vehicle emissions; as a result, they are prone to respiratory diseases such as asthma.
TOPIC 03: 29/01/2020
It is now possible for scientists and tourists to travel to remote natural environment, such as the South Pole. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
As technology has developed, people can now travel to remote natural areas. While this trend is beneficial to some extent, I would argue that its disadvantages are more significant.
On the one hand, visiting isolated natural places has some benefits. Firstly, this is a newer and more interesting type of travelling. Since going to other cities or countries has been too common for most people, it might be more exciting for them to explore new places such as the South Pole or the Amazon rainforest. This gives them valuable experiences and unforgettable memories. Secondly, when visiting remote areas, people, especially scientists, might acquire more knowledge about the natural habitat. For example, when coming to the North Pole, scientists can learn about the life of polar bears which live far away from humans.
On the other hand, I believe this development has far more drawbacks. The first one is that travelling to remote natural areas can be risky if the travellers are not sufficiently prepared. For instance, the temperature at the South Pole is usually very low, which adversely affects people's health. Travelling to forests can also be dangerous as people have to face the risk of being attacked by animals. Also, since visiting isolated places often requires a large amount of investment in researching and ensuring the safety of travellers, the costs of travelling tend to be high. Therefore, it seems like only scientists and rich people can afford this activity, so this development is likely to benefit only a small group of individuals.
In conclusion, I believe the disadvantages of people being able to travel to remote areas outweigh its advantages.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · isolated: far away from any others (xa xôi hẻo lánh). Ví dụ: isolated rural areas
- · common: happening often, existing in large numbers or in many places (thông thường,
phổ biến). Ví dụ: Jackson is a common English name.
- · adverse: negative and unpleasant (tiêu cực). Ví dụ: Lack of money will have an adverse
effect on our research program.
- · ensure: to make sure that something happens or is definite (bảo đảm). Ví dụ: The book
ensured his success.
It is true that humans can now set foot in wild regions far away from civilisation. While I accept that this development can have certain benefits for the human race, I believe that it is likely to have a harmful impact on nature.
On the one hand, undertaking expeditions to the wilderness can be valuable in terms of both science and recreation. There are a considerable number of undiscovered secrets that can be tremendously useful for researchers to conduct their studies. For instance, environmental scientists can analyse the data about the thickness of ice layers over millions of years in both hemispheres to predict the possible changes in global temperatures. Such findings are crucial for the governments to develop appropriate plans to alleviate global warming. Furthermore, the untouched beauty of these areas is usually appealing to travellers, providing people with an attractive option of holiday destination or excursion.
However, I would argue that these positive aspects are outweighed by the drawbacks. When people are given full and easy access to the distant and unpopulated areas, there are likely to be more moving there to reside or start their business. It has been shown that substantial damage has been done to nature such as massive deforestation or water contamination due to humans’ lack of environmental awareness. If there is inadequate protection of the environment from this type of action, wild regions in the world will no longer exist, unspeakably affecting not only the overall ecology but also the lives of other people.
In conclusion, it seems to me that the potential dangers of travelling to wild environments are more significant than the possible benefits for the mentioned reasons.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Appealing (adj): attractive or interesting (cuốn hút/ thú vị). Ví dụ: Overseas students who are offered an appealing salary and position in a foreign company are usually unable to resist the offer and choose to remain in the country instead of returning to their native land.
- · Distant (adj): far away (xa xôi). Ví dụ: The appilication of technology in the form of electric household appliances has facilitate the enjoyment of people’s life to a great extent..
- · Unpopulated (adj): having no inhabitants (hoang vu). Ví dụ: Jackson is a common English name.
- · Reside (v): to live, have your home, or stay in a place (sinh sống/ định cư). Ví dụ: The huge waves of immigrants from poorer countries flocking to wealthier nations can threaten to take the jobs of those who have resided in their countries for a long time by accepting to work for a much lower pay.
- · Substantial (adj): large in size, value or importance (lớn). Ví dụ: By respecting the substantial differences between the older and the younger generations, the mutual understanding between them can be greatly enhanced.
- · Massive deforestation (noun phrase): the destruction of forests by people on a large scale (việc phá rừng hàng loạt) Ví dụ: Massive deforestation is largely attributable to massive deforestation because there are not enough trees to help to hold the flood water.
- · Contamination (n): the action of making something less pure or poisonous. (sự nhiễm bẩn/ sự ô nhiễm) Ví dụ: In many rural villages in China and Vietnam, the supply of underground water which has been in use for hundreds of years is now incapable of meeting the growing demand of the expanding population, threatening the health of the people with using water which has not been tested for contamination.
- · Environmental awareness (noun phrase): the understanding that the environment needs to be protected (ý thức bảo vệ môi trường). Ví dụ: The first step to environmental protection is concerned with raising the environmental awareness of individuals.
- · Ecology (n): the relationships between the air, land, water, animals, etc (hệ sinh thái) Ví dụ: Oil spills cause terrible damage to the fragile ecology of the sea.
TOPIC 04: 31/01/2020
Some people say that too much attention and too many resources are given in the protection of wild animals and birds. Do you agree or disagree about this opinion?
The protection of wildlife has become a frequent subject of debate with strong arguments for and against. Personally, I believe that humans are paying too much attention and allocating too many resources to this issue, as will now be explained.
Firstly, if we allow any species to disappear, this is actually not a disaster. Some people may argue that the biology will be seriously affected if birds and wild animals are on the verge of extinction, but this is an exaggeration. Fossil evidence suggests that the mass disappearance of the dinosaur did not cause any harm to other species on the Earth but merely triggered the emergence of others such as the mammal. Therefore, we should not devote too much attention to the protection of wildlife.
Secondly, public money is limited. This means that the national budget should be allocated to more urgent issues rather than expending too much in the conservation of wild animals and birds. For example, more resources should be diverted to medical research to find out remedies for fatal diseases such as HIV and cancer, which may help to save thousands of lives in society.
Finally, the government can simply protect wildlife by continuing campaigns to raise public awareness of the protection of wildlife habitats, or impose stricter punishments on activities that may harm wild animals. Any individual who hunts wildlife for food or for pleasure should be given a heavy fine, and this may discourage them from threatening the life of wild animals.
In conclusion, while I do not refute the argument for the conservation of wildlife, I believe that it should attract less attention and fewer resources from the public.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · wildlife: animals, birds, insects, etc. that are wild and live in a natural environment. (động vật hoang dã). Ví dụ: Development of the area would endanger wildlife.
- · on the verge of extinction: Bên bờ vực tuyệt chủng. Ví dụ: Today, many animals are on the verge of extinction.
- · exaggeration: a statement or description that makes something seem larger, better, worse or more important than it really is; the act of making a statement like this (sự phóng đại). Ví dụ: There was a degree of exaggeration in his description of events.
- · To devote smth to smth: to give an amount of time, attention, etc. to something (cống hiến thời gian, sức lực, sự chú ý cho cái gì đó). Ví dụ: I could only devote two hours a day to the work.
- · To expend smth: to use or spend a lot of time, money, energy, etc (giống nghĩa với spend, nhưng FORMAL hơn). Ví dụ: She expended all her efforts on the care of home and children.
TOPIC 05: 07/02/2020
Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists but not local people. Why is this the case and what can be done to attract more local people to visit these places?
There are a number of factors that explain why many museums and historical sites fail to attract the attention of the locals. However, this issue can be resolved by adopting a number of solutions, as will now be discussed.
Perhaps the primary reason is that local inhabitants often do not have interest in visiting these places as they tend not to be attracted by places and objects that are familiar to their cultural backgrounds. For example, many museums in Ho Chi Minh City welcome thousands of travelers from Hanoi annually, in contrast to the number of local residents who visit the museums and historical sites here in my home city of Hanoi.
Another reason stems from historical attractions themselves. They are often poorly conserved due to a low budget for operation while the authority does not make an attempt to improve the situation. Take the Air Defense museum in Hanoi as an example. For years, there has been no change for the better, at least visually, to attract the locals, and this is the reason why most of its visitors are tourists.
However, a range of available options can be taken to tackle the problem. The simplest one is that the authority should continue campaigns aiming at encouraging local people to visit these attractions. They could also consider rearranging and redecorating historical places to make them more interesting and attractive for all visitors. To achieve this, the government ought to allocate more public money to the conservation of these places.
In conclusion, various measures need to be taken to gain back local residents’ interest in museums and historical sites.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · The locals: người dân địa phương. Các bạn có thể dùng “local people” để thay thế, nhưng tuyệt đối không được viết “the local” nhé.
- · To stem from: to be the result of something. Ví dụ: Most people’s insecurities stem from something that happened in their childhood.
- · To allocate smth to smth: to give something officially to somebody/something for a particular purpose (phân bổ). Ví dụ: More funds will now be allocated to charitable organizations.
- · To gain someone’s interest back: Gây hứng thú trở lại cho ai đó.
TOPIC 06: 12/02/2020
Some people think that the best way to increase road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving cars or riding motorbikes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Some individuals believe raising the minimum legal age for driving cars or riding motorbikes is the most effective method of increasing road safety. While I accept that this policy is good to some extent, I believe it is not the best because there are much better measures to reduce traffic accidents.
It might be a good idea to increase the minimum age required for driving because of some reasons. Firstly, since younger people are usually less mature and less responsible with their manners, they might not be aware of the importance of following the rules. Therefore, it is reasonable to ban them from travelling on the street to prevent them from breaking the law and causing accidents. Secondly, as older people are more experienced, they can know how to react quickly to handle dangerous situations on the road, while younger ones might not be able to. To illustrate, if the brakes of a car suddenly stop working, a young driver might panic, and accidents are more likely to occur.
However, I would argue that there are much better methods of ensuring road safety. The first one is to have stricter punishments for driving offenders. For example, people who break traffic rules should be required to pay huge fines or be banned permanently from commuting on the street. This makes commuters more likely to respect the law, and traffic accidents can be limited. Another solution is to encourage people to use public transport rather than private vehicles. This can be done by reducing the price and increasing the frequency of buses and tubes to make it more convenient for users.
In conclusion, I believe apart from increasing the legal age for driving, there are more effective ways to make sure that travelling on the street is safe for everyone.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · panic: to suddenly feel frightened so that you cannot think clearly and you say or do something stupid, dangerous (hoảng sợ). Ví dụ: I panicked when I saw smoke coming out of the engine.
- · occur: to happen (xảy ra). Ví dụ: When exactly did the incident occur?
- · commute: to travel regularly by bus, train, car, etc. between your place of work and your
home (di chuyển). Ví dụ: She commutes from Oxford to London every day.
- · tube: the underground railway system (tàu điện ngầm). Ví dụ: a tube station
TOPIC 07: 14/12/2020
The use of mobile phone is as antisocial as smoking. Smoking is banned in certain places so mobile phone should be banned like smoking. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
It has been claimed that like smoking, mobile phones should be banned in some places due to their harmful effects. While I accept that the use of mobile phones is antisocial in some ways, I believe it has more benefits and therefore should not be prohibited.
On the one hand, I agree that the use of mobile phones can sometimes be antisocial. Firstly, these devices might disturb people's work or study in some cases. For example, the sound from a mobile phone can interrupt a lecture, which affects the concentration of students. Secondly, the use of mobile phones also adversely impacts communication between people. Since individuals currently tend to spend too much time using mobile phones, they seem to have less time to interact with others.
On the other hand, I disagree that mobile phones should be banned because of some reasons. The first one is that since they allow people who live far away from each other to speak or send messages, they help people keep in touch more easily. For instance, students who study abroad can use mobile phones to make phone calls or even video calls with their family. The second reason is that mobile phones often provide users with many useful applications such as maps and weather forecast, which can make people's lives become easier. Additionally, using mobile phones is not as bad as smoking as some people think. While smoking directly affects people's health and leads to health problems, the negative influences of mobile phones are less serious.
In conclusion, while I agree that mobile phones are sometimes antisocial, I believe they should not be banned.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · harmful: causing damage or injury to sb/sth, especially to a person’s health or to the environment (có hại). Ví dụ: the harmful effects of alcohol)
- · prohibit: to stop sth from being done or used especially by law (cấm). Ví dụ: Soviet citizens were prohibited from travelling abroad.
- · interrupt: to stop sth for a short time (làm gián đoạn). Ví dụ: The game was interrupted several times by rain.
- · keep in touch: giữ liên lạc
TOPIC 08: 28/02/2020
Some students take a year off between school and university, to work or to travel. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
It is true these days that many high school leavers choose to start their work or take a trip before going to university. While a gap year can bring some immediate drawbacks, I am convinced that it is more likely to have long-term benefits for their lives.
On the one hand, young students are very likely to encounter several difficulties when delaying their university study. One of these problems is the delay in academic progress caused by spending one year off school. It is understandably almost impossible for young people to enjoy their experiences in doing a job or travelling to a new place but still arrange a certain amount of time for revision. As a result, gap-year takers may have to face the challenge of becoming familiar with the knowledge at school again, receiving more pressure of catching up with their peers. Besides, the life out of university campus may prove to be mentally and physically overwhelming for inexperienced school leavers. They, for instance, may be at risk of being exploited in an exhausting job or face potential dangers on their trips to a new country. If not well prepared for such possible obstacles, young high school graduates can suffer from unintended consequences.
On the other hand, I would argue that these disadvantages are outweighed by the positive effects. A gap year is an ideal opportunity for students to learn about what is not taught at university. Working with other people who are experts in a particular field can give these newcomers not only understanding of the job but also valuable practical lessons to help them become more mature. When it comes to applying for a position in a company, employers tend to favourably consider applicants who possess extensive experience in life and the occupation. Furthermore, in terms of recreation, having a year to relax can be advantageous as students can have a chance to relieve stress in study. With a comfortable and willing attitude, undergraduates can acquire knowledge more effectively in comparison with those who go to university straightaway.
In conclusion, despite some negative aspects, it seems to me that the benefits of a gap year are more significant for the reasons mentioned.
(By 365 words)
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Long-term (adj): continuing for a long time into the future (về lâu dài). Ví dụ: The long- term effect of education should not be neglected.
- · To encounter sth (v): to experience something, especially something unpleasant (đối mặt với cái gì). Ví dụ: Young graduates commonly have to encounter great difficulty in seeking employment.
- · Progress (n): movement to an improved or more developed state (tiến trình). Ví dụ: By adequately rewarding the students who have made significant progress in study, the school administration can recognise the achievements of these diligent students to others, encouraging many more students to devote more effort to study to obtain similar rewards.
- · Peer (n): a person who is the same age, or has the same social position or the same abilities as other people in a group. (người cùng trang lứa/ đồng nghiệp/ đồng môn, etc) Ví dụ: In some developing Asian countries such as Vietnam, baby girls are usually less appreciated than their peers due to the remnants of feudalism that favoured men more than women.
- · Overwhelming (adj): too great or large for somebody (quá tải/ quá sức). Ví dụ: High school students in Vietnam, ranging from primary to high school ones, are obliged to learn an overwhelming amount of knowledge at school, not to mention loads of homework and other extra classes.
- · Inexperienced (adj): having little knowledge or experience (thiếu kinh nghiệm/ non nớt). Ví dụ: Many companies, for fear of arising expenses on training inexperienced new employees, tend to refuse the applicants who have just graduated.
- · Extensive (adj): having a great range (rộng/ trải rộng). Ví dụ: Society certainly benefits from the intellectual workforce who possess extensive knowledge in scientific areas.
- · Occupation (n): a person’s job (nghề nghiệp). Ví dụ: On the other hand, manual occupations are of fundamental importance to society.
- · Advantageous (adj): giving advantages or helping to make you more successful (có lợi/ đem lại lợi thế). Ví dụ: The ability to speak foreign languages fluently can prove to be very advantageous for job seekers in the competitive job market.
TOPIC 09: 14/03/2020
Nowadays, many families have both parents working. Some working parents believe other family members like grandparents can take care of their children, while others think childcare centres provide the best care. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Currently, many parents tend to be busy working, and they need to rely on someone else to take care of their offspring. While some people think childcare organisations can offer the best care, I would argue that it is better for children to be looked after by their grandparents.
On the one hand, it is believed that youngsters should be sent to childcare centres for some reasons. The first one is that since those centres are professional organisations, their staff are often well trained and therefore have good babysitting skills. For example, when a child falls over and gets himself injured, a staff can react quickly and give him first aid. Furthermore, children can have a chance to make friends with their peers when coming there, which might increase their communication and language abilities. If they are looked after by their family at home, they might feel a bit lonely.
On the other hand, I believe it is a better idea for grandparents to take care of their grandchildren. Firstly, as grandparents have lived for many years and have brought up their own offspring, they have much experience in raising children. For instance, they might know how to calm the baby down when he cries. Secondly, grandparents are family members, so they love their grandchildren more than other people do. As a result, they tend to spend much more time and effort caring for their grandchildren compared to a childcare staff member. Finally, youngsters looked after by their grandparents are likely to become more family-oriented and appreciate the value of a happy family.
In conclusion, while there are some benefits of children being sent to childcare centres, I believe they should be raised by their own grandparents.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · peer: a person who is the same age or who has the same social status as you (bạn cùng trang lứa). Ví dụ: Children are worried about failing in front of their peers.
- · effort: the physical or mental energy that you need to do sth (nỗ lực). Ví dụ: You should put more effort into your work.
TOPIC 10: 21/03/2020
Some people think that famous people can help international aid organizations to draw attention to important problems. Others believe that the celebrities can make the problems seem less important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
From the perspective of some people, aid agencies can take advantage of celebrities’ fame to raise public awareness towards certain matters of importance. Others, however, hold the view that such method may only bring counterproductive results. Personally, I find the latter more convincing.
Those who support the idea of using famed individuals’ assistance have their own justifications. First of all, people who are considered role models apparently have a considerable amount of influence on the public. Emma Watson, for instance, being a prominent actress, is currently the goodwill ambassador for the United Nations, promoting gender equality and undoubtedly drawing a great deal of attention from her admirers. Furthermore, a wider range of population can be reached if an organisation’s campaign is represented by a popular star. In many parts of the world, some film stars are even more well-known to the locals than the organisation itself owing to their appearance in familiar cinematic products. Therefore the introduction of a humanitarian campaign can be further facilitated thanks to the artists.
Nevertheless, I can understand why other people are against inviting celebrities for assistance. When relying on the fame of some people to attract more public attention, an aid programme can also be affected by their scandals. Mass public disapproval may arise from a representative receiving a speeding ticket or getting caught using illegal drugs, undervaluing the significance of the aid programme. Another foreseeable drawback is that the public might take the presence of famous entertainers as a mere publicity stunt. Without the evidence of real actions taken to mitigate a problem such as participating in a voluntary team to help the people in need, famous people may fail to draw the attention of people to the situation.
In conclusion, while some people have reasons to believe in the success of celebrities in getting people to pay attention, I tend to think that such approach might not prove to be effective for aid organisations as expected.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Counterproductive (adj): having an effect that is opposite to the one intended or wanted (phản tác dụng). Ví dụ: Improved traffic infrastructures such as broadened roads can be counterproductive as they encourage people to drive faster.
- · Role model (noun phrase): a person who is admired and whose behaviour is copied (hình mẫu). Ví dụ: Many sports stars are the role models for thousands of young people.
- · Prominent (adj): very well-known and important (xuất chúng/ lỗi lạc). Ví dụ: Many prominient inventors in history had their ability imprecisely evaluated such as Thomas Edison and Eistein.
- · To undervalue (v): to consider something less important or valuable than they really are (hạ thấp giá trị). Ví dụ: It is very likely for employees who feel undervalued to leave the company and seek the appreciation of their worth somewhere else.
- · Significance (n): importance (tầm quan tr/ sự quan trọng). Ví dụ: The discovery of the new drug is of great significance to people suffering from heat disease.
- · Foreseeable (adj): can be known or guessed before it happens (có thể thấy trước/ có thể tiên đoán). Ví dụ: The deterioration of humans’ health is foreseeable if the destruction of the environment persists at the current rate.
There has been much debate regarding the role of famous people in raising public awareness of major issues. While celebrities can attract people's attention to the problems, I would argue that they are likely to make the problems become less crucial.
To begin with, well-known people can assist international aid organisations in raising people's awareness of social issues. Firstly, celebrities can communicate information about big problems to a large audience around the world. For example, by taking part in the Ice Bucket Challenge in 2014, various celebrities such as Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg have helped the ALS Organisation to let millions of people know about a disease called ALS. Secondly, since people tend to listen to the ones they admire, famous people are much more likely to be able to ask their fans to take appropriate actions. For instance, a well-known football player can ask people to donate money to help homeless individuals.
However, I believe famous people might make the problems become less important. The first reason is that individuals tend to only pay attention to what celebrities do and say rather than what messages they want to convey. In the aforementioned example about the Ice Bucket Challenge, many people watched the videos of celebrities taking up the challenge without actually learning anything about the ALS disease. This makes little contribution to solving the problem compared to the large number of famous people involved. Furthermore, in order to attract viewers, well- known people usually try to deliver their messages in a funny and entertaining way, which might lead to the problems becoming less serious.
In conclusion, while celebrities can contribute greatly to tackling social problems, I believe they are more likely to make these problems seem less important.
Các từ vựng tốt:
· convey = deliver: to make ideas, feelings, etc. known to sb (truyền đạt). Ví dụ: Colours like red convey a sense of energy and strength.
TOPIC 11: 28/03/2020
Some people think that the increasing use of computers and mobile phones in communication has negative effects on young people's reading and writing skills. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Such technological equipment as mobile phones and computers have acquired their significance in the modern-day communication of the young. Personally, I believe that this has both positive and negative effects on their reading and writing skills.
On the one hand, I agree that excessive reliance on these devices is responsible for the young generation’s poor performance in reading and writing. Firstly, many people have a strong preference for computer software when composing text documents due to its convenient functions. For example, Microsoft Word provides users with the ability to modify or erase a piece of text without effort, simultaneously slowing down the writing speed of the users. In addition, young people who spend much time playing with their phones and computers are likely to have insufficient time for reading activities. Gradually, the lack of practice may impair their reading competence in the long term.
On the other hand, it is also true that the proper use of electronic devices can have a positive effect on reading and writing skills. The Internet has now been made accessible through both mobile phones and computers, allowing young readers to gain knowledge from a wider range of sources. Online English newspapers, as an example, are useful for English learners to enrich their vocabulary. Using computers to write blogs is also a good way to enhance the writing skill. Today, the availability of Internet infrastructure can enable bloggers to update their stories at their convenience. By writing regularly, the writing ability of a person is certain to improve.
In conclusion, it seems to me that the use of electronic equipment items can have both advantages and drawbacks for the reading and writing skills of users, depending on the way they are used.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Preference (n): the fact that you like something more than another thing. (sự ưa chuộng). Ví dụ: In the countries where homosexual relationships have not been legalised and accepted, many homosexuals are still facing social discrimination because of their sexual preference.
- · To modify (v): to change something slightly to improve it or make it more acceptable. (sửa đổi). Ví dụ: Instead of administering punishments on first time law offenders, the legal system should encourage them to modify their behaviour.
- · Without effort (prep phrase): in an easy way. (một cách dễ dàng). Ví dụ: The government should send more teachers to remote areas in order that the people there can access get access to education without effort.
- · Simultaneously (adv): at the same time. (đồng thời). Ví dụ: University students should find part time jobs to accumulate more experience, simultaneously earning some money to cover their daily expenses.
- · Insufficient (adj): not enough (thiếu/ không đủ). Ví dụ: There is usually insufficient time left for doctors to allocate for their personal life after they have finished work at the hospital.
- · Gradually (adv): slowly over a period of time or a distance. (dần dần). Ví dụ: Gradually,
constant exposure to polluted air will cause people to suffer from respiratory diseases.
- · To impair (v): to spoil something or make it weaker so that it is less effective (làm hư hại/ hư hỏng). Ví dụ: When people are exposed to constant high pitch noise, their hearing is likely to be impaired.
- · Competence (n): the ability to do something well (năng lực). Ví dụ: It may take years for learners to reach a reasonable level of competence in English.
TOPIC 12: 11/04/2020
Nowadays, more and more older people who need employment compete with the younger people for the same jobs. What problems this causes? What are solutions?
It is true that there has been increasingly more competition between the young and the old who are in search of the same job. Although there will undoubtedly be some negative consequences of this trend, steps can be taken to mitigate these potential problems.
As more elderly applicants have to compete with the younger ones for a job, several related problems can be anticipated. The main issue is that this will obviously pose more challenges for the young who are struggling to find a place in the labour market. Older people, understandably, are usually given more favourable consideration by recruiters due to their vast experience in comparison with the young generation, which can lead to a shortage of work for younger people, increasing the rates of unemployment. Furthermore, when being unemployed and lacking a stable source of income, people are likely to commit crimes such as robbery to feed themselves and their family. As a result, not only will the citizens’ quality of life diminish, but their safety will also be threatened.
However, there are several actions that governments could take to solve the problems described above. Firstly, decreasing the legal retirement age can alleviate the pressure of competition the young have to take. Secondly, increasing the state pension is also an ideal option for this issue because some retirees who find their pension sufficient for living will not have to return to work. Finally, governments can create more available jobs by attracting international organizations to invest with additional incentives.
In conclusion, various measures can be taken to tackle the problems that are certain to arise as older people are competing with the young for the same job.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To struggle: to give something officially to somebody/something for a particular purpose (nỗ lực làm gì đó). Ví dụ: They struggled just to pay their bills.
- · To commit crime: to do something wrong or illegal (phạm tội). Ví dụ: Most crimes are committed by young men.
- · To diminish smth: to become or to make something become smaller, weaker, etc. Ví dụ: The world's resources are rapidly diminishing.
- · Incentive: something that encourages you to do something. Ví dụ: There is no incentive for people to save fuel.
TOPIC 13: 18/04/2020
Some people think that schools should reward students who show the best academic results, while others believe that it is more important to reward students who show improvements. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Giving encouragement is a necessary practice in every education system. In some countries, a form of awards is often given to those who achieve the highest level of academic attainment, but this is not the most desirable solution, as will now be discussed.
There are those who argue that students with the best academic results should be rewarded. The core of this argument is that this may encourage students to study hard for the best grade, and that those who excel at academic performances should be praised for their efforts. However, only some students who are very smart can be able to come top in formal exams while normal students may think that they are incapable of competing with more intelligent students at all. Therefore, slow students might feel reluctant to bury themselves in study to achieve higher scores.
However, I side with those who believe that schools should reward those who endeavour to study and make great improvements in the educational environment. For example, when I was a child, I often received a small gift from my parents once I scored higher than I did in the previous exam. I still remember that this did make significant contributions to my study and helped me to progress fast in the classroom. Thus, it is suggested that schools take the same action to encourage students to learn. For instance, teachers can simply pay a compliment as the recognition of the efforts that students make during the semester.
In conclusion, it seems to me that schools should reward those who make academic improvements rather than those who score highest in the exam.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Attainment: something that you achieved (thành tựu). Ví dụ: a young woman of impressive educational attainments.
- · To excel at smth: to be very good at doing something (xuất sắc trong việc làm gì đó). Ví dụ: She has always excelled in foreign languages.
- · To be incapable of doing smth: Không có khả năng làm gì đó.
- · To endeavour: to try very hard to do something (nỗ lực làm gì đó). Ví dụ: The buyer should always endeavour to negotiate terms.
- · To pay a compliment: khen ngợi ai đó.
TOPIC 14: 25/04/2020
Young people who commit crimes should be treated in the same as as adults who commit crimes. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
There is an opinion that young offenders should be held accountable for their actions just as adults. While I find this viewpoint of some people justifiable to some extent, I also argue that treating both young and mature lawbreakers equally may prove to have adverse effects.
On the one hand, I can understand why young age should be no deterrent to the way of dealing with criminals. If these juvenile delinquents were easily pardoned in place of receiving strict punishments as adults, they would not become fully aware of the serious consequences of their crimes. Therefore imposing appropriate punishments could prevent them from conducting illegal actions in the future. Besides, young perpetrators usually receive lighter sentences that they deserve, which is apparently an injustice to the victims. In Vietnam, there was a well-known case in which a teenager murdered almost every member of a family deliberately, escaping the death sentence due to being a few months under the responsible age.
On the other hand, I am convinced that it is better for juvenile criminals to be tried in a different court from that for adults. Firstly, children are proven not to have sufficient intellectual or moral capacity to understand the outcomes of their misdeeds, so they lack the necessary conditions to be trial defendants as grown-up people. Secondly, when given a second chance, these underage convicts can have an opportunity to successfully rehabilitate and learn a valuable lesson. Thirdly, children can be negatively influenced by some bad role models, which should also be taken into consideration to give them a fair trial.
In conclusion, breakers of laws should not be spared of punishments, but I believe young offenders should be dealt with differently from adults.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Accountable: responsible for your decisions or actions and expected to explain them when you are asked (chịu trách nhiệm khi bị chất vấn). Ví dụ: The state spends taxpayers’ money and should be held accountable.
- · Deterrent to smth: a thing that makes somebody less likely to do something (răn đe). Ví dụ: There is no effective deterrent for these young criminals.
- · Perpetrator: a person who commits a crime or does something that is wrong or evil (tội phạm). Ví dụ: We will do everything in our power to bring the perpetrators to justice.
- · Deliberately: done in a way that was planned, not by chance (cố ý). Ví dụ: I suspected that he was being deliberately ambiguous.
- · juvenile criminals: Tội phạm vị thành niên. Ví dụ: Finding ways to deal with juvenile criminals is a perplexing problem.
TOPIC 15: 09/05/2020
Development in technology has brought various environmental problems. Some believe that people need to live simpler lives to solve environmental problems. Others, however, believe technology is the way to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
The improvements in technology currently bring about harmful effects on the environment. While some people believe having simpler lives is the only solution, I would argue that technological advances can help to tackle these environmental problems.
On the one hand, it is believed that individuals need to live simple lives and rely less on technology. The first suggestion is that people should walk or cycle rather than drive cars. This is because the current number of cars being manufactured and used is increasing, which causes high levels of exhaust fumes and makes air pollution become serious. Additionally, people should try to reduce their consumption of electricity so that the exploitation of natural resources such as fossil fuels or nuclear power can be minimised. An example of this idea is the annual event called Earth Hour where everyone is asked to turn their lights off for sixty minutes.
On the other hand, I believe the developments of technology can greatly contribute to environmental protection. Firstly, because of those improvements, people are able to come up with ways to recycle materials such as paper or glass, which reduces the problem of waste disposal. Secondly, technology can also help to create electricity using renewable resources. For example, many countries in the world have built plants that utilise solar energy to generate power. As a result, it is not necessary to rely on non-renewable resources, and people can create electricity without significantly damaging the environment.
In conclusion, while some people think that they should live simpler lives to prevent environmental issues, I would argue that these problems can be dealt with by technological improvements.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · exploitation: the use of land, oil, minerals, etc (việc sử dụng tài nguyên). Ví dụ: commercial exploitation of the mineral resources in Antarctica
- · waste disposal: the act of getting rid of sth (việc xử lý rác thải)
- · plant: a factory (nhà máy). Ví dụ: a chemical plant
- · utilise: to use something, especially for a practical purpose (sử dụng). Ví dụ: The Romans were the first to utilise concrete as a building material.
- · solar energy: năng lượng mặt trời
TOPIC 16: 16/05/2020
Finding ways to improve educational quality is often one of the top priorities in every education system. In some cultures, high school students are encouraged to give their opinions about teachers, but I believe that this can also give rise to lack of respect and discipline in the classroom.
On the one hand, it is true that feedback from learners may contribute to an improvement in educational quality. In many cases, the level of comprehension of students relies very much not on the content of the lesson but on the way teachers conduct it. If, for example, the class is slow, it will be ineffective for teachers to teach too fast so that most students fail to retain the information. Without the comments of students, it would be difficult to know whether the speed of the lesson is appropriate for the class, which may eventually impair the quality of the lesson.
However, there are several drawbacks of allowing students to make comments and criticism on their teachers. Firstly, teachers can be vulnerable to the negative words of students. Many will feel that their efforts in delivering the lesson deserve praise rather than criticism or any form of feedback. This idea is commonly shared by teachers in the education systems of many Asian countries. Secondly, the classroom may be in chaos due to massive numbers of comments. Opinions vary from students to students, and it would be impractical for teachers to work out a way of teaching that can satisfy all students.
In conclusion, it seems to me that encouraging high school students to comment about their teachers does not necessarily mean an improvement in education quality.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · to retain smth: to keep something; to continue to have something (lưu giữ, giữ lại). Ví dụ: She has a good memory and finds it easy to retain facts.
- · To impair smth: to damage something or make something worse. (phá hủy cái gì đó). Ví dụ: His age impaired his chances of finding a new job.
- · To be vulnerable to smth: weak and easily hurt physically or emotionally (dễ bị tổn thương). Ví dụ: Old people are particularly vulnerable to the flu.
- · chaos: a state of complete confusion and lack of order (hỗn loạn, hỗn độn). Ví dụ: The house was in chaos after the party.
Many people argue that in order to improve educational quality, high school students are
encouraged to make comments or even criticism on their teachers. Others think it will lead
to loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss both views and give your own
TOPIC 17: 21/05/2020
Nowadays, more and more people decide to have children later in their life. What are the reasons? What are the effects on society and family life?
Many people currently decide not to have babies when they are young and wait until they get older instead. There are some reasons for this tendency, and it could have some impacts on family life as well as society.
To begin with, there are several reasons why a number of individuals want to have children later in their life. Firstly, this choice allows them to have more time to enjoy life when they are young. For instance, it is easier for a young couple to travel when they do not have a baby to nurture. Secondly, people who are at the early stage of their career usually have lower income compared to when they are older. Therefore, many people decide to start raising a family after having accumulated enough money to ensure a better life for their children.
However, this tendency might bring about some negative effects on both family life and society. The first impact is that having children later will cause a significant age gap between two generations. This makes it harder for parents to understand and communicate with their offspring. Additionally, if people give birth when they are too old, the babies being born might be less physically healthy. This might adversely affect the quality of the future workforce if too many people decide to follow this trend.
In conclusion, there are some reasons why many people prefer to have children later in their life, and this tendency can result in some negative impacts on both family life and society.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · nurture: to care for and protect sb/sth while they are growing and developing (nuôi nấng). Ví dụ: children nurtured by loving parents
- · give birth: sinh con
It is not until middle age that married couples in today’s society are delaying having their babies. This trend is attributable to many factors in life, and it certainly will have great impacts on society in general and family life in particular.
Looking more closely into the matter, there are some possible causes of people’s avoidance of being parents. A prominent reason could be that married couples, especially young ones are becoming more independent in their decisions in contrast to their predecessors. As a result of their freedom of choice, they tend to spend more time advancing the career or pursuing higher education before finally having any newborn family members. In addition, many prospective parents could avoid pregnancy owing to the fact that they are unable to support their family financially, and raising a baby is sometimes too costly for parents to afford. Therefore, couples are likely to wait until they have earned more income in preparation for their babies to appear.
As more people are hesitating to have children, both society and domestic life are subject to many negative impacts. Firstly, the increasing age of pregnancy usually entails higher health risks for the mother as well as the baby, as suggested by some researchers, which will undoubtedly adversely affect family life. Secondly, the older parents are, the more likely that the generation gap will widen. By the time the late babies are grown up, they might encounter difficulty adapting to their parents’ ways of life. Thirdly, the reduction in the rates of birth can lead to a shortage of the labour force nationwide, hindering the development of the national economy.
In conclusion, people these days have many reasons to have children at an older age, and the rise of such a trend will produce some certain negative effects on not only society but also family.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · attributable to somebody/something: probably caused by the thing mentioned (gây ra bởi cái gì đó). Ví dụ: Their illnesses are attributable to a poor diet.
- · pregnancy: the state of being pregnant (mang thai). Ví dụ: Many women experience sickness during pregnancy.
- · To be subject to smth: likely to be affected by something, especially something bad. Ví dụ: Flights are subject to delay because of the fog.
- · The generation gap: Khoảng cách thế hệ. Ví dụ: Conflicts occur due to the generation gap.
- · To hinder something: to make it difficult for somebody to do something or for something to happen. (gây trở ngại, cản trở cái gì đó). Ví dụ: There are factors that might help or hinder a child’s progress at school.
- · Reasoning: suy luận
- · Versatile: đa năng
- · In-depth: thâm hậu
- · Reliable: tin cậy được
TOPIC 18: 30/05/2020
Many people believe that international tourism is a bad thing for their country. What are the reasons? Solutions to change negative attitudes?
There are several reasons why many people have a negative attitude towards international tourism. However, this can be handled by adopting possible solutions, as will now be discussed.
Firstly, the influx of foreign travelers is often associated with an increase in the level of environmental pollution. Many tourists throw rubbish into the surroundings irresponsibly, which contributes to air, water and soil contamination. In addition, there might be a growing demand for transport, decreasing the air quality at the tourist destination.
Secondly, international tourism increases the odds of spreading infectious diseases into the local community. Viruses such as Ebola and H5N1 can become a threat to the locals if an infected traveler visits their country. In Vietnam, for example, many people died after a visitor from Hong Kong carried the H5N1 virus to the country in 2003. This example makes it clear why many people are still against the development of international tourism.
However, there are a range of options that can be taken to improve the situation. One measure would be that the government should continue campaigns to raise the awareness of tourists when they pay a visit to a new land. Travellers should be encouraged to put waste into the right place or to use public transport if possible. Another remedy is that there should be medical checks at airports and borders. This is to guarantee that infected visitors should be quarantined to halt the spread of the disease.
In conclusion, negative feelings about global tourism still are common in society. However, this can be resolved by taking the above suggestions.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · The influx of smb/smth: the fact of a lot of people, money or things arriving somewhere (sự di cư, chuyển dịch của nhiều người/vật). Ví dụ: a massive/sudden influx of visitors.
- · To be associated with smth: having a connection between people or things in your mind (có mối liên hệ với). Ví dụ: I always associate the smell of baking with my childhood.
- · The odds of something: the degree to which something is likely to happen (khả năng xẩy ra cái gì đó). Ví dụ: The odds are that (= it is likely that) she'll win.
- · To pay a visit to somewhere: đến một nơi nào đó.
- · To halt something: to stop; to make somebody/something stop (ngừng cái gì đó). Ví dụ: We are failing to halt the destruction of the rainforest.
TOPIC 19: 13/06/2020
Accommodation and transport problems are increasing in many large cities. Businesses are encouraged to move to rural areas. Do advantages outweigh disadvantages?
The movement of organizations from urban areas to less-developed provinces is a solution to various municipal problems, but we cannot turn a blind eye to the shortcomings of this trend. The essay will clarify both sides of the coin, and demonstrate my view that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
On the one hand, it is absurd to say that an organization can easily move from a major city to the countryside without suffering any losses. A change in terms of position may cost a firm, for example, a reduction in the quality of its workforce. Not every employee is willing to resettle down in a faraway province, and they prefer seeking another career in the metropolis to maintain their current living standards. The enterprise, to handle such risk of brain drain, would have to hire local workers who are normally less competent. The expenses for their prerequisite training courses are significant, but an improvement in their professional performance would still not be guaranteed.
On the other hand, I believe that the advantages of this scenario are more important. Firstly, such relocation of organizations can reduce the population density in the urban areas. As a result, the influx of workers traveling in rush hours which causes traffic congestion would disappear. Secondly, the movement of companies’ headquarters makes way for the construction of more residential areas, so the citizens would no longer have to live in narrow houses and apartments anymore. Finally, factories carry along with them modern production lines to the suburban areas, hence the rural population might have access to such cutting-edge technological advancements, which have been by no means close to them ever.
In conclusion, I believe that governments should encourage companies to move to rural areas because of the mentioned considerable benefits.
Các từ vựng tốt:
Municipal: Relating to a town or district or its governing body (thuộc về thành phố). Ví dụ:
national and municipal elections, municipal offices.
Shortcoming: A fault or failure to meet a certain standard, typically in a person’s
character, a plan, or a system (nhược điểm). Ví dụ: he discussed the shortcomings of his wife.
Metropolis: The capital or chief city of a country or region, a very large and busy city
(thành phố lớn). Ví dụ: he preferred the peaceful life of the countryside to the bustle of the
Brain drain: The emigration of highly trained or qualified people from a particular country
(chảy máu chất xám). Ví dụ: a leading British team of chemists has joined the brain drain
to the US.
Competent: Having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully
(tài giỏi). Ví dụ: a highly competent surgeon
Prerequisite: Required as a prior condition (bắt buộc). Ví dụ: the student must have the
Density: The degree of compactness of a substance (mật độ, độ dày)
Influx: An arrivial or entry of large numbers of people or things (dòng). Ví dụ: a massive
influx of tourists.
Cutting-edge: Highly advanced and pioneering (đột phá). Ví dụ: cutting-edge technology.
TOPIC 20: 26/06/2020
People today do not feel safe either at home or when they are out. What are the causes? What are the solutions?
People today have a sense that their safety is threatened both outside and inside their house. The reasons for this vary, and the problem should be tackled in particular ways.
There are common risks that every individual has to confront as they walk out the door. One particularly salient example for this should be traffic accidents. High population density puts pressure on the transportation system, and a rise in the number of commuting vehicles means that people now are more likely to get involved in a car crash than they were in the past.
In addition, our individual safety is not guaranteed even when we stay at home. Food poisoning is a general concern today, as manufacturers are willing to trade the well-being of their customers for profits. Toxic substances are injected into many products to maintain the food’s freshness for a longer time, and this is why state hospitals are now filled with cancer and heart-disease patients.
To tackle this problem, I would like to propose several measures. Firstly, the food market has to be better managed. The government should examine more carefully which ingredients are contained in pre-prepared meals sold to the public and ban those with high levels of preservatives. Secondly, education campaigns about the benefits of public transport should reach every resident. For example, Hanoi Urban Transport Operation Centre has recently run a programme called “Travel by Bus every Friday” on Facebook. This encourages the local people to put a limit on the use of their personal vehicles, thus the frequency of traffic accidents would also be reduced in the long-term.
In conclusion, I believe that the mentioned remedies can certainly help people lead a safer life.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Confront:
- · population density:
- · pressure:
- · commute:
- · food poisoning:
Face up to and deal with (a problem or difficulty) (đối mặt). Ví dụ: we knew we
couldn’t ignore the race issue and decided we’d confront it head on
The quantity of people or things in a given area or space (mật độ
dân số). Ví dụ: areas of low population density
Continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in
contact with it (áp lực). Ví dụ: the gate was buckling under the pressure of the crowd
Travel some distance between one’s home and place of work on a regular
basis (di chuyển, đi lại). Ví dụ: he commuted from Corby to Kentish Town
Illness caused by bacteria or other toxins in food, typically with vomiting
and diarrhea (ngộ độc thức ăn). Ví dụ: I had a very bad case of food poisoning salmonella
People currently feel unsafe either when they stay at home or go out on the streets. This problem is caused by some factors, and it should be dealt with by some effective solutions.
There are some reasons why people now have to face serious risks no matter where they are. Firstly, due to climate change that is happening all around the world, people might face the danger of natural disasters even when they are at home. For example, in Japan, earthquakes and tsunamis occur every year, and many people have been killed during those events. Secondly, when being out on the streets, individuals are usually exposed to different types of pollution such as noise or air pollution. This might negatively affect people’s health and can even lead to fatal consequences.
Feasible solutions should be produced to tackle these aforementioned problems so that people would feel safer. The first measure would be to develop new technologies that can help minimise or prevent the damages caused by natural disasters. For instance, scientists have come up with machines that can forecast the occurrence of earthquakes. Additionally, it is necessary to reduce noise and air pollution on the streets. This can be done by encouraging citizens to use public transport in order to limit the levels of noise and exhaust fumes caused by private vehicles.
In conclusion, there are some reasons why people today usually do not have the feeling of safety either at home or when they are out, and some measures could be taken to solve this problem.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · tsunami: an extremely large wave in the sea (sóng thần).
- · fatal: causing or ending in death (chết người). Ví dụ: a fatal accident/blow/illness
- · occurrence: the fact of something happening or existing (sự xảy ra). Ví dụ: the occurrence of skin cancer.
The rate at which something occurs over a particular period of time or in a given sample (tần suất). Ví dụ: an increase in the frequency of accidents due to increased overtime)
TOPIC 21: 04/07/2020
Some people think that young people should be required to do unpaid work helping people in the community. Are disadvantages of this requirement greater than the benefits for the community and individuals?
It is true that volunteer work provides great benefits for both participants and the community. However, forcing the youth to engage in those activities may be counterproductive, as now will be explained.
On the one hand, if young people were required to do social jobs for free, there would be certain advantages for all sides related. A vast majority of the younger population are energetic, dynamic and passionate about improving themselves, and it is the unpaid work that can satisfy that demand. Charitable campaigns such as teaching primary schoolchildren or helping the elderly with their daily activities provide the participants with not only new knowledge and skills, but also a sense of community and a belief that they are a pivotal part of societies. Vice versa, the government, with the assistance from young people, has a productive workforce available for charity work without wasting money on the recruitment process.
On the other hand, I believe that the disadvantages of this are more important. Working on a volunteer basis may distract young people from their priorities. For example, students of state universities and colleges are expected to attend lessons, complete homework and even consult external academic materials. With such a heavy workload, those students should spend their little remaining time relaxing or playing sports rather than joining free social activities. Regarding those who do not go to school, vocational or internship courses are what they should seek for. Professional skills from such classes are tools for these individuals to achieve a stable later life; therefore, the community should allow them to pursue their career.
In conclusion, the youth can choose to support others, and the volunteer work should never be made obligatory.
Các từ vựng tốt:
· Counterproductive: · Charitable:
Having the opposite of the desired effect (phản tác dụng). Ví dụ:
child experts fear the Executive’s plans may prove counterproductive
Relating to the assistance of those in need (từ thiện). Ví dụ: he has spent
£50,000 on charitable causes
Of crucial importance in relation to the development or success of something else
(quan trọng). Ví dụ: Japan’s pivotal role in the world economy
roducing or able to produce large amounts of goods, crops, or other
commodities (năng suất cao). Ví dụ: the most productive employees
The people engaged in or available for work, either in a country or area or in
a particular firm or industry (nguồn nhân lực). Ví dụ: a quarter of Galway’s manufacturing
workforce are being put out of a job
· Workload: · Vocational: · Internship:
The fact or condition of being regarded or treated as more important than others
(ưu tiên). Ví dụ: the safety of the country takes priority over any other matter
The amount of work to be done by someone or something (cường độ công
việc). Ví dụ: he had been given three deputies to ease his workload
Relating to an occupation or employment (thuộc về nghề nghiệp) . Ví dụ:
The position of a student or trainee who works in an organization, sometimes
without pay, in order to gain work experience or satisfy requirements for a qualification
(thực tập). Ví dụ: they encouraged students to apply for newspaper internships
Required by a legal, moral, or other rule; compulsory (nhiệm vụ bắt buộc). Ví
dụ: use of seat belts in cars is now obligatory
TOPIC 22: 11/07/2020
Advertising discourages people from being different individuals by making us want to be and to look the same. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
An often debated topic is whether advertising has a major influence on the growing similarity of people’s lifestyle in the modern world. Personally, I partly agree with this opinion for a number of reasons.
On the one hand, the power of advertising is undeniable. The growth of the advertising industry has resulted in many people buying products of the same manufacture, which can be seen in the case of consumer goods. Today, the advertising campaigns of multinational companies such as Unilever have been so successful that their products almost dominate the market. Smaller enterprises tend not to be able to compete with these giant market leaders due to their disadvantages of capital poured into advertising programs. Thus, costumers are often swayed to buy products of famous brands rather than those made by less well-known companies.
On the other hand, it is also true that people have the tendency to copy others’ lifestyles without being affected by advertising. For example, it is valid to argue that many young people are trying to emulate the fashion styles of their idols. Many Vietnamese youths manage to purchase the same clothes, dye their hair and wear the same perfume as their stars do. People can also turn to their social relations for advice when they need to buy something. For instance, junior citizens usually ask their friends before they come to a final decision on buying a smart phone.
In conclusion, it is true that advertising has bridged the gap between each individual’s lifestyle in modern society. However, I believe that it is not the sole factor that contributes to the trend.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To dominate something: to control or have a lot of influence over somebody/something, especially in an unpleasant way (thống lĩnh/ảnh hưởng lớn lên cái gì đó). Ví dụ: He tended to dominate the conversation.
- · Giant market leaders: Các công ty lớn, thống lĩnh thị trường.
- · To sway somebody: to persuade somebody to believe something or do something
(thuyết phục ai đó làm cái gì đó). Ví dụ: Don’t allow yourself to be swayed by emotion.
- · To bridge the gap between A and B: làm cầu nối. Ví dụ: Mr .. always tries to bridge the gap between theory and reality so that his students can write essays without much
TOPIC 23: 23/07/2020
Some people say taxes should be spent on health care. Other people say that there are more important priorities for tax-payers' money. Discus both these views and give your own opinion.
People hold different views about how taxes should be spent. Although I agree that medical care is a field that requires huge investments, I believe that the government should also allocate the money for other priorities, such as education and transport.
On the one hand, a certain amount of tax money has to go to healthcare services. Today, a number of particular diseases are on the rise in terms of popularity, and it would be costly to supply vaccines, medicines or treatments. For example, a large proportion of the population is now suffering from respiratory diseases or lung cancer due to exhaust fumes from vehicles and gas emissions from industrial factories. The remedies for those patients and the treatment facilities are often expensive, and the hospitals may find themselves in the struggle with financial problems without the assistance from the tax system.
On the other hand, healthcare is not the only industry that needs money to be kept running. Take education as an example. The quality of the schooling system is proportional to the competence of the future workforce. Therefore, a country can benefit from such skillful human resources in the long-term if they invest the tax budget to build schools, provide lecturers with training courses or hire native speakers to teach foreign language. In addition, the government should also spend money solving transport problems. Traffic congestion is a global issue these days, and the scenario can be handled only if new highways are opened, and narrow public roads are expanded.
In conclusion, I believe that the government should use tax-payers’ money to improve not only the healthcare services, but also the education and transportation system.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Allocate:
- · Respiratory:
the patient to the intensive care unit for respiratory and inotropic support.
- · Fumes:
- · Emissions:
Distribute (resources or duties) for a particular purpose (phân bổ).
Ví dụ: in past years we didn’t allocate enough funds to infrastructure maintenance
Relating to or affecting respiration (thuộc về hô hấp). Ví dụ:
An amount of gas or vapour that smells strongly or is dangerous to inhale (khói,
bụi). Ví dụ: clouds of exhaust fumes spewed by cars
The production and discharge of something, especially gas or radiation (khí
thải). Ví dụ: the effects of lead emission on health
A medicine or treatment for a disease or injury (phương thuốc, giải pháp). Ví
dụ: Once estrogen replacement is prescribed, a medical practitioner calibrates the remedy.
Proportional: corresponding in size or amount to something else (tỉ lệ thuận). Ví dụ: the
punishment should be proportional to the crime.
TOPIC 24: 25/07/2020
As well as making money, businesses also have social responsibilities. Do you agree or disagree?
People have different views about what kinds of obligation a company should have. While I accept that the top priority of companies is to generate profits, I believe they should also have social responsibilities.
On the one hand, I believe businesses already contribute to society by simply focusing on making money. The first reason is that when companies earn much profits, they can expand their businesses, which creates more job opportunities for people. Some big multinational corporations such as Apple or Microsoft can be a great illustration. They have been employing hundreds of thousands of individuals around the world, which helps to reduce unemployment rates in many countries. Additionally, when companies make higher profits, they will pay more taxes for the government. This money can be used to invest in important fields such as education or health care, which will benefit society as a whole.
On the other hand, I would argue that apart from making money, companies also need to have social responsibilities. Firstly, since the rising number of factories these days has led to serious environmental damage, companies need to take immediate actions to help protect the natural environment. For example, they could try new technologies to recycle their wastes instead of disposing of them right away. Secondly, corporations should also consider helping those who are less fortunate such as homeless or disabled citizens. This will contribute to better society and also help to enhance the image of the company or the brand.
In conclusion, although companies should prioritise the need to make profits, I believe they should also have social responsibilities.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · obligation: the state of being forced to do sth because it is your duty, or because of a law (nghĩa vụ). Ví dụ: You are under no obligation to buy anything.
- · priority: something that you think is more important than other things and should be dealt with first (ưu tiên hàng đầu). Ví dụ: Education is a top priority.
- · illustration: an example (ví dụ)
- · dispose: to get rid of sb/sth that you do not want or cannot keep (vứt). Ví dụ: the difficulties of disposing of nuclear waste.
- · fortunate: lucky (may mắn). VÍ dụ: I have been fortunate enough to visit many parts of the world as a lecturer.
TOPIC 25: 01/08/2020
The world natural resources are consumed at an ever-increased rate. What are the dangers of this situation? What should we do?
It is true that there is the growing consumption of natural resources in many parts of the world. This has potential problems, and we need to take actions to combat the issue.
The over exploitation of natural resources results in a number of negative effects. Chief among them is a greater level of environmental contamination. In recent years, emissions from traffic have increased significantly due to the growing demand for fossil fuels in the world. This impairs the quality of life and decreases life expectancy of people. In Vietnam, for example, a growing number of people are suffering from respiratory problems as a result of the deterioration in the air quality. Another consequence is that the natural resources will be dwindling shortly in near future. A possible scenario of this is that countries may fall into a fuel war, which threatens mankind as a whole.
The situation calls for prompt actions. One measure would be that campaigns should be continued to raise public awareness about saving energy. We can, for example, opt for public transport whenever possible rather than relying on our private vehicles. This will contribute to a reduction in the level of exhaust emissions released into the environment, slowing down the progress of global warming. The second remedy is that alternative sources of energy should be developed to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. Solar power, wind power and nuclear energy ought to be invested in to make them viable for public use in the coming years.
In conclusion, an increase in the world’s demand for natural resources is posing a number of threats to society. However, this can be handled by adopting abovementioned suggestions.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · exploitation: the use of land, oil, minerals, etc. (khai thác). Ví dụ: commercial exploitation of the mineral resources in Antarctica.
- · Dwindle: to become gradually less or smaller. (cạn kiệt). Ví dụ: Supplies of coal are dwindling fast.
- · To opt for something: to choose to take or not to take a particular course of action. (lựa chọn cái gì đó). Ví dụ: After graduating she opted for a career in music. Many students opt for a course with Mr .. due to his physical attractiveness.
- · To reduce dependence on something: Giảm bớt sự phụ thuộc vào cái gì đó.
The overconsumption of natural resources has evolved has a major topic of concern in recent years. This alarming trend poses a number of serious threats to the world, and must be addressed with a number of definite actions.
The increasingly high level of natural resources exploitation can be hazardous in many ways. The most obvious threat is that once the resources come to the verge of depletion, humans would have to face the scarcity of fuels and materials. When oil becomes scarce and more expensive, transport and heating would become less accessible and affordable to most people. The shortage of resources also leads to stagnation in other industries, for example, there would not be enough wood for furniture production and not enough seafood for food processing. This would threaten the business of thousands of companies, as well as the employment of millions of workers in these fields.
Some measures can be taken to mitigate the problem of over-consuming natural resources. The most practical measure is to lower the demand for energy in every household. This can be done by mass-producing energy-efficient household appliances and selling them at a low price. Energy demand may also be cut by making saving energy the focus in propaganda campaigns in various media channels. Another sustainable solution is to promote environmentally-friendly technology. For instance, solar cells are now sold in a small quantity and at a relative high price; they should be made readier and cheaper for the public. Finally, the conservation and recovery of natural resources, including seafood and forests, must be regulated by law.
To conclude, the overexploitation of the world’s resources may result in severe consequences, threatening many industries and people’s life. Strong measures, such as reducing energy use and resource conservation and recovery laws, must be implemented to tackle this situation.
Useful words/ phrases:
- · Overconsumption is a situation where resource use has outpaced the sustainable capacity of the ecosystem. Ví dụ: A prolonged pattern of overconsumption leads to inevitable environmental degradation and the eventual loss of resource bases
- · Scarcity: if there is a scarcity of something, there is not enough of it and it is difficult to obtain it. Ví dụ: a time of scarcity / a scarcity of resources
- · On the verge of: very near to the moment when somebody does something or something happens. Ví dụ: These measures brought the republic to the verge of economic collapse.
- · Stagnation: the fact of no longer developing or making progress. Ví dụ: a period of economic stagnation
TOPIC 26: 08/08/2020
Some people who have been in prison become good citizens later. Some people think that having these people to give a talk to school students is the best way to tell them about dangers of committing a crime. Do you agree or disagree?
Crime education is of paramount importance in any country, but the way it can be conducted is often a subject of debate in society. While I agree that asking those who are released from prison to have a talk to school students is a good education method, I also believe that there are better alternatives to the problem, as will now be discussed.
On the one hand, I agree that students may be aware of the consequences of engaging in criminal activities when attending a talk given by ex-prisoners. Their life stories are often vivid and persuasive, and this can attract the attention of school students easily. These ex-criminals are real examples that people have to pay for their unlawful activities, which can raise awareness about law-abiding citizens among young people. The success of a series of educational programs on Vietnamese Television channels about the price that offenders have to pay proves that the narrative forms of crime education can work. It is hoped that a speech of used-to-be wrongdoers is promoted at all school levels in future.
However, I believe that a combination of different education methods would produce a more desirable result compared to a former prisoner holding a talk. Primarily, parents should act as pioneers to educate children at an early age about social evils and how to avoid them. It has long been acknowledged that the home environment has a profound effect on the development of a child, and a significant percentage of juvenile crime stems from insufficient education criminals receive in their childhood. Teachers at schools also play an important role in raising the awareness of students about crime. Moral lessons ought not to be neglected in the classroom, and a positive education environment should be promoted, contributing to crime prevention.
In conclusion, it is my opinion that a talk given by ex-offenders, albeit effective, is not the best education method for crime education.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To engage in something: to take part in something; to make somebody take part in something (tham gia vào cái gì đó). Ví dụ: Even in prison, he continued to engage in criminal activities.
- · Vivid: producing very clear pictures in your mind (sống động). Ví dụ: a wonderfully vivid imagination.
- · Narrative: describing events or telling a story. Ví dụ: a narrative poem.
- · Wrongdoer: a person who does something dishonest or illegal (tội phạm). Ví dụ: Most people believed that wrongdoers should be made to suffer.
- · A profound effect: ảnh hưởng sâu sắc. Ví dụ: Mr .. has a profound effect on his students’ writing style.
TOPIC 27: 03/09/2020
Many people are afraid to leave their homes because of the fear of crime. Some believe that more actions should be taken to prevent crime. Others feel that little can be done. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
The popularity of crime today has made people stay indoors for self-protection. While it is a common belief that reducing the crime rate is a nearly impossible mission, I hold the view that there are certain measures which can convert the world into a safer place to live in.
On the one hand, many people argue that in such current era of moral decadence, any attempts to prevent crime would turn out to be a failure. Poverty and unemployment are considered chief precursors to law violation, and only when these two social issues are eliminated will crime disappear. However, it is true that a society can only provide a limited number of jobs for its residents, and those who are not lucky enough to receive good education from childhood would find it difficult to pursue a career to make ends meet. Such individuals are lack of both skills and orientation, and from their perspective, becoming a thief might be a better way to survive compared to unstably living on governmental subsidies or performing menial work. It seems that the root of this problem cannot be solved completely, and this is why how to halt law-breaking may remain as an insurmountable question for the government.
On the other hand, I am of the opinion that there are still solutions to maintain criminal justice. Firstly, stricter sets of laws are required, and the penalties should be corresponding to the severity of the wrongdoings. In a variety of countries, such as the United Kingdom or Italy, the capital punishment has been abandoned; but I believe it should be reintroduced as the fear of death may deter the potential offenders and stop them from committing serious crime. Secondly, the government should encourage companies and organizations to expand and run more projects. These actions create jobs; therefore, those who live under the poverty line not only do not have to become pickpockets or burglars for survival but also stand a chance to earn a living with their own clean money.
In conclusion, I believe that the aforementioned measures can create more peaceful communities and ensure the safety of the residents.
Các từ vựng tốt:
· Crime rate: A measure of the number of crimes recorded in a particular area, over a given period of time, etc. (tỉ lệ tội phạm). Ví dụ: The crime rate in the UK has reduced in recent years
Measure: a plan or course of action taken to achieve a particular purpose (giải pháp). Ví
dụ: there are certain cost-cutting measures to this issue
Convert: cause to change in form, character, or function (chuyển đổi). Ví dụ: The industry
has come up with production processes that converted raw material into useful forms.
- · Subsidy:
- · Menial: ·
Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in
pleasure or luxury. (suy thoái, suy đồi). Ví dụ: He denounced Western decadence.
Precursor: a person or thing that comes before another of the same kind; a forerunner.
(nguyên nhân, tiền thân). Ví dụ: A high population density is the precursor to traffic
Violation: the action of violating someone or something (sự vi phạm, sự xâm phạm). Ví
dụ: the aircraft were in violation of UN resolutions.
Eliminate: completely remove or get rid of (something) (xoá bỏ). Ví dụ: The new policy
would eliminate inflation.
a sum of money granted by the government or a public body to assist an industry
or business so that the price of a commodity or service may remain low or competitive.
(tiền trợ cấp). Ví dụ: Poor families rely on the governmental subsidies to satisfy their basic
demands, such as eating or maintaining the domestic costs.
(of work) not requiring much skill and lacking prestige (thuộc về tay chân, hầu hạ).
Ví dụ: Most menial works do not require expertise or intricate skills.
Insurmountable: too great to be overcome (không thể giải quyết). Ví dụ: Environmental
pollution has remained as an insurmountable problem for governments for the last few
Justice: a judge or magistrate, in particular a judge of the supreme court of a country or
state. (sự công bằng). Ví dụ: It is, therefore, a matter of public interest who becomes
judges of the lower courts and justices of the Supreme Court.
Corresponding: similar in character, form, or function (tương ứng, tương thích). Ví dụ:
We discussed our corresponding viewpoints.
Capital punishment: the legally authorized killing of someone as punishment for a crime
(án tử hình). Ví dụ: The fact that the International Covenant sanctions capital punishment
must be seen in this context.
TOPIC 28: 12/09/2020
Fewer and fewer people walk on a daily basis. What are the reasons and how to encourage them to spend their time walking?
People seem to be increasingly reluctant to have a walk regularly. As there are certain causes of such a trend, some solutions are also available to urge people to walk more.
Amongst the reasons for the lack of people’s interest in the walking activity, the convenience of modern technology in travelling and the boredom of walking activity are the two significant ones. Firstly, some technological applications which support travelling such as electric lifts and escalators are very common in public places. These devices help people to move to the higher levels of a building more easily and quickly than using the stairs, so people would feel unnecessary to walk. Secondly, walking for exercise can seem monotonous to many people because they have to repeat a series of actions every day, unlike going to the gym where they can use different exercising machines; additionally, it is less boring to train with and talk to other members at the gym.
In order to raise people’s interest in walking, there are some workable solutions to be adopted. To begin with, walking the stairs can be made a more enjoyable experience by adding some attractive decorations to them. For example, some 3D painting artists can be hired to paint their eye-catching works of art on the walls and the stair cases, which may make people excited to use the stairs the next time. In addition, companies can offer some incentives such as free gym membership to the employees who use the stairs instead of the lift. They can also hold a company event in form of a walking competition with prizes to promote the benefits of walking for health.
In conclusion, people dislike walking for several reasons, and this problem of inactivity can be addressed with some measures suggested.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To be reluctant to do something: ngại ngùng làm việc gì đó.
- · Monotonous: never changing and therefore boring (đơn điệu). Ví dụ: a monotonous
- · eye-catching: immediately noticeable because it is particularly interesting, bright or attractive (bắt mắt). Ví dụ: an eye-catching advertisement.
TOPIC 29: 19/09/2020
Everyone should become vegetarian because they do not need to eat meat to have a healthy diet. Do agree or disagree?
Many people in the world currently choose not to eat meat in their daily meals. While I accept that this tendency can help people to live healthily, I believe not everyone should become vegetarian.
In my opinion, there are several benefits of being vegetarian. Firstly, since there are many types of vegetables that can provide people with enough nutrients, it has become less necessary for people to eat meat. For example, potatoes and beans are two popular dishes for families in England because of the large amount of calories they can provide. Secondly, vegetables and fruits contain vitamins that are highly beneficial for people. For instance, it has been proven that eating an apple every day can help individuals improve their health and avoid illness. Finally, if more people refuse to eat meat, fewer animals will be slaughtered.
However, I believe this tendency is not suitable for everyone. First, it is not advisable for children to become vegetarian. As they are in the process of growing up, they need to eat a wide range of food, including meat which contains essential nutrients, to improve their physical health. If children only eat vegetables, they might become less healthy than they should be. Furthermore, athletes are the people who should not be vegetarian. Since their job involves intense training on a regular basis, they need to consume meat such as beef or pork which provides them with enough calories.
In conclusion, while I agree that becoming vegetarian can help people have a healthy diet, I do not think it is an option that everybody should take.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · nutrient: a substance that is needed to keep a living thing alive and help it to grow (chất dinh dưỡng). VÍ dụ: a lack of essential nutrients
- · refuse: to say that you will not do sth that sb has asked you to do (từ chối). Ví dụ: She refused to accept that there was a problem.
- · slaughter: to kill an animal, usually for its meat (giết động vật để lấy thịt). Ví dụ: The lambs are taken to the local abattoir to be slaughtered.
- · intense: serious and often involving a lot of action in a short period of time (cường độ cao). Ví dụ: It was a period of intense activity.
TOPIC 30: 26/09/2020
Studies show that criminals get low level of education. Some people believe that the best way to reduce the crime is educating people in prison so they can get a job after leaving prison. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Education for offenders during imprisonment as a method to reduce the rate of crime has evolved as a major topic of concern in today’s society. While I agree that such a solution is effective to reduce crime, I am convinced that it is far from being the best method and there are many better ways of reducing crime.
I accept that education for prisoners may contribute to the reduction of the crime rate. The primary reason is that such a form of education could provide offenders with the working skills that are essential when they return to the community. With fortified job prospects, prisoners may therefore earn a living after leaving the prison and are less likely to commit a crime again. Another significant reason is that education could show the offenders that they are still appreciated by society. By this way, they may feel an enhanced sense of humanity and community, and become better citizens after their prison years. These people may then inspire many others in the public to live without crime.
However, I am firmly of the opinion that education for offenders is not the best solution to reduce crime. This form of education is offered only to those who have committed a crime, and therefore has far less preventive value, compared to other stronger solutions. For example, severe punishments such as longer imprisonment for criminals could deter criminal acts by many people in the public who have the intention to carry out a crime. There are also other educational methods that may have a stronger and more long-lasting impact on the reduction of crime. An excellent example of this is crime education at school, which helps equip students with the necessary knowledge about crime and crime prevention. This measure is undeniably a more sustainable crime-fighting solution than education for criminals.
To conclude, I firmly believe that although educating prisoners is an effective way to reduce crime, it is not the best solution, as there are more preventive and sustainable measures such as crime education at school and stricter punishments for criminals.
- · Appreciate: to recognize the good qualities of somebody/something. Ví dụ: His talents are not fully appreciated in that company.
- · A sense of something: Có thể thay Something bằng rất nhiều từ khác nhau và sắc thái ý nghĩa khi dịch ra tiếng Việt của cụm từ này cũng hơi khác một chút. Ví dụ: “he has a sense of humour” = anh ấy rất hài hước; “he has a sense of community” = anh ấy biết nghĩ về cộng đồng; “I feel a sense of perfection in his work”. “A sense of” được dùng rất rộng rãi nhờ sự linh hoạt của nó.
- · Sustainable: that can continue or be continued for a long time. Ví dụ: sustainable economic growth
TOPIC 31: 08/10/2020
In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. Which of these two systems is more appropriate in today's world?
Secondary school curriculum can be organised in a variety of ways. While several countries adopt the education system which orientates the students in a specific profession, I believe that the teenagers should have access to a comprehensive learning programme with a wide range of subjects.
To begin with, a learning programme providing knowledge of a major subject is beneficial in some ways. Being exposed to expertise and skills required by a certain speciality at the young age, the students would stand a great chance to not only have a well-defined career path, but also become competent workers in their later life. For example, with students having ambition to work as translators or applied language researchers in the future, it is a course of basic grammar and vocabulary at their secondary school that can realise the dream. In addition, current society of specialization tends to favour employees with a good grounding in a single field over those who have general knowledge but are not experts in a particular area. Therefore, it is absurd to say that such career-driven programmes are not appropriate to today's world.
In stark contrast, however, it is better for the teenagers to have access to a curriculum containing basic knowledge of various fields. The final purpose of developing the comprehensive thinking of children should lie at the heart of any secondary school learning programme, as they seem to be too young to decide on a specific occupation to follow at that age. An ideal job is one that provides enjoyment for the workers, and it is a well-rounded course that can help children seek for a major they are interested in and nurture the passion for it. To illustrate, secondary schools in the UK aim to teach children different subjects ranging from Math to Arts, and their educational philosophy is to put job orientation in the high school curriculum.
In final words, my opinions are on par with the idea that secondary schoolchildren should be supplied with knowledge in as many fields as possible.
Các từ vựng tốt:
Ví dụ: There is a wide choice of subject specializations at the highest levels of the school.
Expertise: expert skill or knowledge in a particular field. (kiến thức chuyên môn). Ví
dụ: Throughout four years learning university, he has deepened his technical expertise
and now is receiving offers from numerous big firms.
Speciality: a pursuit, area of study, or skill to which someone has devoted much time and
effort and in which they are expert. (chuyên ngành). Ví dụ: His specialty was watercolors.
A method of production where a business or area focuses on the
production of a limited scope of products or services in order to gain greater degrees of
productive efficiency within the entire system of businesses or areas.
(chuyên môn hoá).
Grounding: basic training or instruction in a subject. (hướng dẫn cơ bản, kiến thức cơ
bản). Ví dụ: every child needs a good grounding in science and technology.
Expert: a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a
particular area. (người chuyên nghiệp, chuyên gia). Ví dụ: Most psychologists are experts
in creating motivation and soothing negative feelings.
Appropriate: suitable or proper in the circumstances. (thích hợp). Ví dụ: Exporting
commodities to boost monetary benefits as well as enhance international reputation is a
measure appropriate to the emerging economies.
Comprehensive: complete; including all or nearly all elements or aspects of something.
(toàn diện). Ví dụ: Buying technical products from this shop, customers have access to a
comprehensive aftermarket support.
Occupation: a job or profession. (nghề nghiệp). Ví dụ: His prime occupation was as editor.
TOPIC 31: 10/10/2020
Some people think that in order to prevent illness and disease, governments should make efforts in reducing environmental pollution and housing problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
The prevention of illness and disease is a challenging problem for any community. Although many people may be skeptical about the effectiveness of an investment in improving the environment and providing more housing for the public, I believe that it is a good solution to the issue, as will now be discussed.
On the one hand, ameliorating environmental contamination can hinder the spread of disease and illness. Today, people’s health is deteriorating due to the adverse effects of poor air quality, making us more vulnerable to viruses and health problems. A number of urban citizens suffer from lung cancer and throat cancer due to the dangerous level of exhaust emissions from traffic and industrial activities in many big cities such as Beijing and Hanoi. Therefore, improving the environment should be treated as the top priority among other concerns of the government. For example, an outright ban on the use of private vehicles can decrease the amount of harmful fumes released into the atmosphere, contributing to the clean-up of the environment.
On the other hand, the provision of more accommodation for the public is also a highly effective measure to reduce health risks. Many people are still homeless in society while many others have to live in slums under poor living conditions with poor access to medical services when they are sick. This triggers the rise of endemic diseases such as malaria in society, putting the life of other citizens in jeopardy. By providing more social apartments of affordable prices and incentives for the poor, the government would not only mitigate the dearth of housing but also prevent disease and illness effectively at an early stage.
In conclusion, it is my belief that environmental pollution and lack of housing are root causes of the proliferation of illnesses and diseases in society, requiring the government to take actions to tackle the problem.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · To be skeptical about something: having doubts that a claim or statement is true or that something will happen (nghi ngờ). Ví dụ: I am skeptical about his chances of winning.
- · To ameliorate something: to make something better (làm cái gì đó tốt hơn). Ví dụ: Steps
have been taken to ameliorate the situation.
- · Deteriorate: to become worse (kém đi). Ví dụ: They had to cope with deteriorating
- · The clean-up of something: the process of removing dirt, pollution, or things that are considered bad or immoral from a place (làm sạch cái gì đó). Ví dụ: the clean-up of the river.
Slum: an area of a city that is very poor and where the houses are dirty and in bad condition (khu ổ chuột). Ví dụ: city/urban slums.
Endemic: regularly found in a particular place or among a particular group of people and difficult to get rid of. Ví dụ: Malaria is endemic in many hot countries.
The dearth of something: a lack of something; the fact of there not being enough of something (thiếu). Ví dụ: There was a dearth of reliable information on the subject.
TOPIC 32: 24/10/2020
Students today can easily access information online, so libraries are no longer necessary. Do you agree or disagree?
Students are currently able to acquire information on the Internet in a much easier way than in the past. While I accept that online sources of information have advantages over traditional libraries, I would argue that there is still a great need for libraries in today's world.
It is true that accessing information online has several clear benefits. The first one is that online sources can store a huge amount of information that is greater than any physical library. This allows researchers to easily get the information they need without having to travel to a local library. Furthermore, students can look for information on the Internet whenever they want, while most libraries can only be visited during several hours per day. As a result, it might be better for those who are busy to utilise online information sources.
However, I believe that physical libraries still have special features that online sources can never replace. Firstly, libraries usually provide quiet areas, which is a great environment for students to learn and research since they are less likely to be distracted by things around them. For example, some of my university friends claim that they can only concentrate when they are in a quiet study area in my university library. Secondly, since everyone can easily write and post information on the Internet, these online sources are not always reliable for research. Therefore, we need libraries whose staff members have the responsibility to select and provide readers with the most credible materials.
In conclusion, while I agree that there are great benefits of getting information on the Internet, I disagree with the idea that traditional libraries are no longer important.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · distract: to take sb’s attention away from what they are trying to do (gây xao nhãng). Ví dụ: You’re distracting me from my work.
- · credible: that can be believed or trusted (đáng tin cậy). Ví dụ: a credible explanation
TOPIC 33: 31/10/2020
Scientist agree that people are damaging their health by eating too much junk food. Some people think that the answer to this problem is to educate people. Others think education will not work. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Scientific findings have clearly indicated that the excessive consumption of fast food is leading the health of people to deterioration. According to some people, this unhealthy practice can be stopped by means of education; however, some others have little faith in this solution. As the supporters of each view have their own justifications, whether education is effective remains to be seen in this essay.
On the one hand, raising the awareness of people towards the dangers of unhealthy food can certainly yield some promising outcomes. Firstly, many fast food products provide very little or no information on the nutritional content in them, deterring the consumers from knowing the amount of fat, sodium or cholesterol which they take in. By being informed of how much of these harmful substances is contained in their favourite hamburgers or chips, as well as being shown the likely consequences of over-eating these foods, consumers can be more cautious the next time they choose their food. Secondly, education at schools can help to form healthy eating habits for children and parents. For instance, schools can hold some extracurricular activities such as growing and selling vegetables with the attendance of both students and parents, in order to promote the benefits of healthy diets and warn against the potential risks of junk food.
On the other hand, some people doubt the effectiveness of education for certain reasons. To begin with, despite being aware of the negative effects of fast food, many people who are too busy persist to eat it due to its being convenient and time-saving. In this case, education hardly makes a difference as they have made a choice. In addition, compared with the wide range and availability of fast food stores and menus, healthy food is seriously limited. Furthermore, healthy food is commonly inferior to fast food in terms of taste and prices as a matter of fact. As a result, however convincing education is, it is almost impossible for people to change their eating habit without a ready alternative to their unhealthy food choices.
In conclusion, people have different opinions about whether to support education so as to reduce people’s consumption of fast food. In my opinion, education can be a viable measure with careful consideration of other impediments.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · faith: trust in somebody’s ability or knowledge; trust that somebody/something will do what has been promised (tin vào ai đó). Ví dụ: He has blind faith (= unreasonable trust) in doctors' ability to find a cure.
- · To deter somebody from doing something: ngăn cản/gây trở ngại cho ai làm gì. Ví dụ: The high price of the service could deter people from seeking advice.
- · Extracurricular: not part of the usual course of work or studies at a school or college (ngoại khóa). Ví dụ: She is involved in many extra-curricular activities.
- · Inferior: not good or not as good as somebody/something else (kém hơn ai/cái gì đó). Ví dụ: Modern music is often considered inferior to that of the past.
- · Impediment: something that delays or stops the progress of something (trở ngại). Ví dụ: The level of inflation is a serious impediment to economic recovery.
TOPIC 34: 07/11/2020
Whether or not someone achieve their aims is mostly a question of luck. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
The debate whether luck is the primary determinant of success in achieving targets has been heated constantly. My position is that hard work and determination are far more important than luck, while luck must not be considered as the main precursor of the attainment of one’s goals.
I advocate the notion that the role of being industrious and determined is more significant than luck. Thomas Edison, one of the greatest inventors in the 20th century, is an excellent example of such a notion. He conducted numerous experiments with the filament until the finest light bulb was produced; and his hard work, rather than luck, was acknowledged by all the human race. Another clear evidence of this notion is the case of Nguyen Ngoc Ky. This disabled man could not write by hand, but he was determined enough to teach himself to write by foot. The fact that he would then became one of the greatest teachers in the history of education in Vietnam provides a concrete foundation that even with bad luck, determination could result in goal achievement.
By contrast, I believe the saying that fortune has a major part to play is just a fallacy. One clear reason is that although there may have been a number of people reaching their goals with good luck, such good luck in most cases only comes to people who have worked hard. Take Mendeleev as an example. As a research chemist, he worked tirelessly for a few decades, until one day in his dream, the complete arrangement of the elements appeared. The appearance of this arrangement could be ascribed to luck, but no one could deny the extreme effort that Mendeleev had exerted. Another clear reason for my belief is that luck could only lead people to short-term achievements, and there is nothing to ascertain that it would continue to exist in the long run. The over-reliance on good fortune, as a result, would prevent people from achieving their long-term or life-long aims.
In brief, I think the importance of luck in determining goal attainment is overstated, while there are much more significant factors to consider, namely hard work and determination.
- · Determine (v) to make something happen in a particular way or be of a particular type. Ví dụ: Age and experience will be determining factors in our choice of candidate.
- · Conduct (v): to organize and/or do a particular activity. Ví dụ: to conduct an experiment/an inquiry/a survey
- · Ascribe (v): If you ascribe an event or condition to a particular cause, you say or consider that it was caused by that thing. Ví dụ: He ascribed his failure to bad luck.
People have different views about what elements contribute the most to a person's success. While I accept that luck does have an important role in helping people reach their targets, I would argue that hard work and determination are much more crucial factors leading to the achievement of an individual.
On the one hand, I agree that luck can be an important factor. Some people are fortunate enough to be born in a wealthy family, which allows them to have better education or to easily start their own business without having to borrow money from someone else. As a result, these people tend to have better opportunities to succeed than those coming from poor families. Furthermore, some individuals are lucky to be given great talents which others do not have. For example, Mozart was able to play music when he was very young, or Lionel Messi already had great football skills when he was born.
However, I would argue that although luck can be necessary, it is not the most crucial factor leading to success. Firstly, people need to work really hard and put much effort into their jobs if they want to be successful. For instance, before becoming one of the best football players in the world, Cristiano Ronaldo had to go through intense training hours every day for many years. Secondly, a person is less likely to reach his targets if he does not have determination. On the way leading to success, there might be many difficulties, and people need to keep moving forward to overcome those challenges.
In conclusion, while I agree that luck is important in helping people become successful, I believe that hard work and determination are the most important elements.
Các từ vựng tốt:
·difficult (sự quyết tâm). Ví dụ: He fought the illness with courage and determination.
- · wealthy: having a lot of money, possesions, etc (giàu có). Ví dụ: a wealthy nation
- · crucial: extremely important (quan trọng). Ví dụ: a crucial factor/issue/decision
determination: the quality that makes you continue trying to do sth even when this is
TOPIC 35: 14/11/2020
The consumption of the world's resources (oil, and water etc.) is increasing at a dangerous rate. What are causes and solutions?
The accelerating rate of natural resources consumption has been a major topic of concern in recent years. As some factors are likely to trigger this alarming trend, a number of drastic measures can be employed to slow down the pace.
Perhaps it is the key role of natural resources in boosting economic growth and the heavy reliance on natural resources that accompany each other to create this dire situation. Today, precious commodities from nature such as gas, oil and coal still remain crucial to the operation of a country as transport and industries would grind to a halt without the energy and fuel generated from these resources. In emerging economies which are striving to rise, the demands for resources are certainly on the increase. The dependence on natural resources is also to blame as it is easier to exploit them from nature than developing and converting to sustainable alternatives such as wind and solar energy, which requires many years and great determination to produce changes on a large scale.
In order to alleviate the existing problem, there are some feasible solutions. One step to be mentioned is that the authority should impose higher taxes on the use of natural resources to deter further consumption. On the other hand, renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power can be developed to substitute fossil fuels in transport and manufacture. Lastly, governmental campaigns need to be launched to make individuals acknowledge the risks of overusing natural resources through the mass media.
In conclusion, the overuse of the world’s resources may result in severe consequences, threatening the environment and many people’s life, and strong measures must be implemented to tackle this situation.
(279 words - Bao Nguyen)
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · accelerate: to happen or to make something happen faster or earlier than expected (tăng tốc). Ví dụ: Inflation continues to accelerate.
- · To boost something: to make something increase, or become better or more successful (tăng). Ví dụ: The movie helped boost her screen career.
- · Dire: very serious. Ví dụ: Such action may have dire consequences.
- · To grind to a halt: to go slower gradually and then stop completely. (giảm dần). Ví dụ:
Production ground to a halt during the strike.
The overconsumption of natural resources has evolved as a major topic of concern in recent years. This alarming trend is caused by a few factors, and it must be addressed by a number of definite actions.
The increasingly high level of exploitation of natural resources could be ascribed to a number of reasons. The most obvious reason is the tremendous demand for resources in developing countries, such as China and Brazil. The citizens of these countries are becoming increasingly wealthy, and they may now afford a living standard that is associated with a higher level of resource consumption. A clear example of this is the widespread use of cars among tens of millions of middle-income Chinese nationals, which may have contributed substantially to the burning of oil on a global scale. Besides, the over-dependence on natural resources, such as fossil fuels, is another significant reason to consider. In Vietnam, for example, the majority of electricity is generated in thermal power stations, in which a vast amount of coal is the burnt on a daily basis.
Some measures can be taken to mitigate the problem of over-consuming Earth’s resources. The most practical measure at the moment is to reduce the demand for resources in developing countries. This can be done by mass-producing energy-efficient products, such as hybrid cars, and selling these items at a low price to citizens of these nations. If such a measure is implemented, these people may still benefit from the modern living standard without over- consuming natural resources. Besides, the most sustainable solution is to lower the reliance on natural resources by taking advantage of alternative sources. For instance, wind and tidal power in the Netherlands, nuclear power in Japan and solar power in the United States have all proven their efficiency in energy production. These forms of energy should be used in other parts of the world as well, to minimise the global dependence on fossil fuels.
All the existing data provides a concrete foundation that the overexploitation of natural resources derives from the strong demand in developing countries and the over-reliance on these types of resources. Strong measures, such as reducing the aforementioned demand and making use of alternative energy sources, must be implemented to tackle this situation.
- · Demand: the desire or need of customers for goods or services which they want to buy or use. Ví dụ: to meet the demand for a product
- · Such: of the type already mentioned. Ví dụ: She longed to find somebody who understood her problems, and in him she thought she had found such a person.
- · Take advantage of something/somebody: to make use of something well; to make use of an opportunity. Ví dụ: She took advantage of the children's absence to tidy their rooms.
TOPIC 36: 21/11/2020:
Too much emphasis is placed on going university for academic study. People should be encouraged to do vocational training, because there is a lack of qualified tradespeople such as electricians or plumbers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
It goes without saying that society always needs a skilled workforce to function. Employees of different professions contribute differently to the thriving of the community, and therefore I disagree with the statement that vocational courses should be given any more weight than before.
The fact that many people deem it more important to take tertiary education than a vocational training program has resulted in a shortage of qualified workers. It is universally accepted that knowledge and qualifications gained from university can help one to have a head start over other candidates when it comes to job hunting. In Vietnam, for instance, a majority of high school graduates are content to spend four to five years more studying at a university with the hope for a bright career ahead. This results in a lack of skilled manual workers such as plumbers and electricians in society.
However, if we encourage more people to become blue-collar workers, then there will be a shortage of while-collar workers who may otherwise create more wealth for society. For example, fewer engineers would mean lower productivity; a dearth of scientists may inhibit scientific discoveries which can provide us with a better life in the future. In contrast, those doing blue-collar jobs may face redundancy when too many applicants compete for the same position. An unbalanced workforce might, therefore, hold society back from development in the long term.
In conclusion, the workforce will adjust itself to cater for the need of the community, so there is no need to direct young people to follow a particular career path.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Vocational: connected with the skills, knowledge, etc. that you need to have in order to do a particular job. Ví dụ: vocational education/qualifications/training
- · Tertiary: relating to education in colleges and universities (bậc học Đại Học).
- · A head start over smb: an advantage that somebody already has before they start doing something (có lợi thế). Ví dụ: Being able to speak French gave her a head start over the other candidates.
- · Inhibit: to prevent something from happening or make it happen more slowly or less frequently than normal (ngăn ngừa). Ví dụ: A lack of oxygen may inhibit brain development in the unborn child.
- · While-collar: working in an office, rather than in a factory, etc.; connected with work in offices (nhân viên văn phòng, ngược nghĩa với blue-collar – công nhân). Ví dụ: white- collar workers.
- · To cater for something: to provide the things that a particular person or situation needs or wants (cung cấp cái gì đó).
TOPIC 37: 03/12/2020
The government and individuals are spending too much money on national celebrations like new year or festivals. Do you agree or disagree?
People have different views about whether public expenditure on national occasions such as new year or festivals is too much nowadays. While I agree that governments and individuals are spending a significant amount of money on those celebrations, I would argue that this activity is necessary and therefore can be considered acceptable.
It is true that a large amount of money is currently spent on some important celebrations of a country. Firstly, governments are spending a proportion of their budget on holding events to celebrate these occasions. For example, much money is being paid for fireworks on New Year's eve in many countries around the world. Secondly, individuals also spend money to have celebrations and parties with their families, which is a common habit in many areas. For instance, my parents and I often have a special dinner on the final day of every year.
However, I believe there are great benefits of public spending on national celebrations, and therefore it is completely justifiable. The first advantage is that this is a great way to preserve the culture of a nation. To illustrate, Lunar New Year is an important part of the Vietnamese culture, and holding celebrations for this occasion is necessary to remind younger generations of this tradition. Additionally, since these occasions are usually the only times for family members to have time and enjoy together, it is understandable that people would want to spend money on something that makes them happy. Finally, as there are only a few national celebrations in a year, the amount of money spent on those days is unlikely to be too much.
In conclusion, I disagree with the idea that people and governments are spending too much money on national occasions.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · expenditure: an amount of money spent (chi tiêu). Ví dụ: The government plans to increase expenditure on health.
- · fireworks: pháo hoa
- · justifiable: existing or done for a good reason, and therefore acceptable (có thể chấp nhận được)
- · preserve: to keep sth in its original state in good condition (bảo tồn). Ví dụ: a perfectly preserved 14th century house
- · remind: to help sb remember sth (nhắc nhở về một cái gì đó). Ví dụ: That smell reminds me of France.
TOPIC 38: 05/12/2020
There is a general increase in anti-social behaviours and lack of respect for others. What are the causes and solutions?
The widespread problem of anti-social behaviours and disrespectful attitudes towards others has long been a major topic of concern in society. Some of the major culprits of this problem will be discussed before the most important solutions are drawn.
Reasons for this alarming situation vary. In some cases, people may hold an anti-social attitude or disrespect others because they live in an environment where violence and discrimination are the norms. For example, children of sexist parents in rural families in Vietnam, irrespective of their gender, show a worrying tendency of disrespecting women. In some other cases, it is the lack of parental guidance that is to blame. As modern parents are becoming increasingly busy with their jobs, they may have the proclivity to be indifferent to children education. When there is no one to help young children distinguish between the good and the bad, ill-mannered attitudes may emerge and develop among them without being controlled.
A number of definite actions could be taken to mitigate the problem. On the national level, the first obvious solution is to reduce violence and discrimination. As this would be a massive act, the all voters and legislators should be responsible. Together, they could call for stricter enforcement of the laws on violent and discriminatory acts to deter them from happening. In addition, on the nuclear-family level, parents must not underestimate the significance of their guidance for children. If they notice any signs of an anti-social or insolent manner in children, they must provide them with negative evaluations of these signs. At the same time, parents could also educate their children about social manners by instilling a pro-social sense in them. These actions, albeit small, could have a strong influence on children when they mature.
To conclude, it is clear that violence, discrimination and the indifference of parents to children education are the major catalysts for increase in anti-social behaviours and disrespect for others. Strong measures, such as stringent law enforcement on violent and discriminatory acts, must be taken to alleviate this distressing situation.
- · Disrespect: a lack of respect for somebody/something. Ví dụ: disrespect for the law/the dead
- · Irrespective of: without considering something or being influenced by it. Ví dụ: Everyone is treated equally, irrespective of race.
- · Proclivity: a natural tendency to do something or to feel something, often something bad. Ví dụ: the government’s proclivity for spending money
- · Indifferent to: having or showing no interest in somebody/something. Ví dụ: The government cannot afford to be indifferent to public opinion.
TOPIC 39: 12/12/2020
When people live in a foreign country, they should follow local traditions and customs. Do you agree or not?
As the immigrants in many countries are rising in number, an opinion emerges that it is necessary for these outsiders to embrace the culture of the natives. In my personal view, such assimilation is completely justifiable for certain reasons.
In the first place, non-native residents should consider adopting the cultural changes for the sake of their easy immigration. It can be universally acknowledged that the people of a nation take pride in their own cultural features such as beliefs, lifestyle and cuisine which greatly influence their life. Therefore, any slight sign showing the lack of respect for the native culture is likely to result in the unfriendliness or even isolation from the local community. To facilitate the integration process and prevent any potential trouble, it is highly advisable that the settlers conform to the standards of behaviour expected by the foreign society.
In addition, it is beneficial for emigrants to accept new traditions and customs as such an action boosts mutual understanding between cultures and alleviates the conflicts. If foreign people are willing to change themselves a little to blend in, for example, avoiding the consumption of beef in India or joining the traditional celebration of Tet in Vietnam with the natives, the local people will definitely exhibit a very amiable attitude towards the foreigners. As a result of strengthened understanding and friendship, it is reasonable to say that there will be almost no room for discrimination or conflicts.
In conclusion, I entirely support the view of encouraging immigrants to accept the culture of their new homelands, as there will be significant benefits for them eventually.
Các từ vựng tốt:
- · Assimilation: the act of assimilating somebody or something, or being assimilated. (sự hòa nhập). Ví dụ: his assimilation into the community
- · To facilitate something: to make an action or a process possible or easier. Ví dụ: Structured teaching facilitates learning.
- · To conform to something: to obey a rule, law, etc. (tuân thủ). Ví dụ: The building does not conform with safety regulations.
- · Amiable: pleasant; friendly and easy to like. (dễ gần). Ví dụ: Mr .. seems very amiable.
TOPIC 40: 19/12/2020
Children are facing more pressures nowadays from academic, social and commercial perspectives. What are the causes of these pressures and what measures should be taken to reduce these pressures?
There is a current distressing situation that the external life has burdened the youth with a wide range of pressures. In this essay, I would discuss several precursors to this issue, before some viable measures are drawn.
The fact that children are coerced into pressures and responsibilities stems from a number of root reasons. As far as the academic burden is concerned, it is the escalating competitiveness of the job market accompanied with the parental over-expectation that is to blame. The organisations’ demand of a qualified workforce pours into the parents’ mind a thought that their children have to be successful at school, and many youths today take studying as an obligation. In addition, some children, mostly those who have special talents or are born in famous families, may find their personal life in the public interest. The appearance on the media at such a young age may deprive the junior citizens of an innocent and carefree childhood. Regarding the commercial pressure children have to encounter, fast food chains or sweetshops have made them the target customers; and they are dragged into a chaotic influx of information by both the online and offline advertising campaigns.
In order to reverse such pressures on children, I would like to propose a number of drastic remedies. Firstly, parents should create a mentally and physically healthy domestic environment, involving a balance between learning and relaxing. Cooling-down activities such as sports, drawing or traveling, which are normally affordable, can release the stress of children brought on by both academic and social burdens. In addition, business morality has to be emphasised and penetrated by all firms. They should keep their online advertisements inaccessible to the youth by putting age restrictions on their websites.
In final words, it is unfair for the children to bear any kind of pressure, and every part of society should exert effort to provide them with a happy youth life.
Các từ vựng tốt:
· Competitiveness: The quality of being as good as or better than others of a comparable
nature (tính cạnh tranh). Ví dụ: High-protein soybean varieties may improve competitiveness of livestock producers.
Viable: capable of working successfully; feasible. (khả thi). Ví dụ: the proposed investment
was economically viable
Coerce: persuade (an unwilling person) to do something by using force or threats. (ép
buộc). Ví dụ: they were coerced into silence
Escalate: increase rapidly. (tăng nhanh, tăng mạnh). Ví dụ: the price of tickets escalated
· Deprive: deny (a person or place) the possession or use of something. (tước đoạt). Ví dụ: the city was deprived of its water supplies.
- · Drastic: headcount.
- · Inaccessible: ·
radical and extreme (quyết liệt, This is likely to mean a drastic reduction of overheads and also of Likely to have a strong or far-reaching effect; mạnh mẽ).
Emphasise: give special importance or prominence to (something) in speaking or writing
(nhấn mạnh). Ví dụ: he jabbed a finger into the tabletop to emphasize his point.
Penetrate: succeed in forcing a way into or through (a thing) (xuyên qua, thấm nhuần).
Ví dụ: the shrapnel had penetrated his head and chest.
unable to be reached (không thể tiếp cận). Ví dụ: We continue to sign
collective agreements that are generally written in complex and inaccessible language.)
Restriction: a limiting condition or measure, especially a legal one. . Ví dụ: The company
is now planning restrictions on commercial development.
Exert: make a physical or mental effort. (cố gắng). Ví dụ: He needs to exert himself to try
to find an answer.